All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying an investment property with solar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of drewgongdrewgong
    @drewgong

Hi im in the middle of buying a house (NSW). There is a 1.5kw solar system on the roof currently gross metered at 60c pkw
    The real estate agent has told me i will recieve a cheque every 3 months at that rate.
    I spoke to an electrician today who is doing an inspection of the property tomorrow to make sure everything is ok .
    He has told me when i sign off on the house the price pkw will either drop to 20c or be net metered
    and any money from the panels goes to the electricity account holder which will be whoever is renting the property :bad-words:
    Does anyone know how it works im going to solicitors on tuesday hopefully they will know.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Couldn’t you request the electricity supplier re-direct that bonus to the property owner (yourself) ?
    Hope so. Sounds like a brand new can of worms.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

I too will watch this with interest; a ‘grey’ area if I’ve ever seen one.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

This is a very good post and intriguing question.
    The contract to pay for the installation of this different type of system and hence trigger the rebate to that person might be the key.

The question is : whose right to the rebate is superior – the property / equipment owner or the electricity consumer ??

Another landlord vs tenant claim has been born.
    I guess the equipment you bought generates the extra elec hence the rebate, not someone’s occupation or electricity consumption.

Suggestions. Carefully read the contract between you and the electricity supplier to see who it says has the entitlement to the rebate and why –
    ” the property or equipment owner ” being the person who contracted and paid for the installation and equipment, or
    ” occupant, consumer etc” being the person whose name will be on the electricity account and who will be living there, consuming electricity, and presumably paying the bill.

If the consumer / occupant / tenant can successfully lay claim to the rebate, and tenancy advocates will most certainly try,
    then we have a new scenario for landlords, and good reason to increase rent.

If the rebate entitlement belongs to the property owner / original buyer of the system, does it transfer to a new property owner ?

Hopefully the entitlement to the rebate can be separated from the bill with a tenanted property and paid to the property owner.
    Just my thoughts.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of drewgongdrewgong
    @drewgong

Thanks for the replies  i was hoping others on here may have already gone down this road i should know the facts tuesday night
    so ill keep you posted

Profile photo of drewgongdrewgong
    @drewgong

Sorry for the late reply
    I get nothing from the panels as the owner.
    Who ever rents the property is able to choose there electricity provider.
    I believe you can only be net metered now it is classed as new installation with change of ownership.
    Anyone want to buy some solar panels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.