All Topics / Help Needed! / Subdivision – what i’ve expirienced to date

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Hi Guys,
    Hope everyone is travelling well!
    Earlier I posted some questions regarding subdividing a property in the SE of Melbourne and i thought I’d reply and give some insight in what i’ve found… Not that i expect anyone really cares, but just some feedback to those who replied earlier.

First and foremost, Thanks… In particular a couple of people on here went out of there way to reply and contact me and their advice has been great!

I know a lot of people post on here and are from all different fields – but it truly is great that a forum like this exists where people, within the industry, take a moment of their time to help out someone new.

So in short – where am i now? No where in particular and i’m a bit lost. I’ve contacted 3 “drafting/planning” firms to check on things and get quotes. One has said “Yes, i think we can put a unit on your property” and 2 others have said to me “no, we just can’t see it happening”.

So its frustrating as its something i really want to explore. Its not the end of the world if we can’t – but this is something i’d love to do!

The guy saying “Yes” i think though is taking me for a ride. The other 2 who have said no have been really good. They’ve looked at my House plans, looked at the title and done some preliminary work – all for nothing but their time – and come back and said no, we don’t want to take it on.

The guy saying “Yes we can build” has asked that i engage his services, to come up with proper schematic designs etc, him to head out etc… all which of course takes time, but it will cost me just over $1k to do so. The others have said no over the phone after doing research, he says “yes its possible” but i won’t know for sure until you get me out there at a cost!!!

So right now – its a majority rule. 2 say no, 1 says yes (and for a fee). Any advice on this stale mate would be appreicated

Thanks

Profile photo of BreeceBreece
    Participant
    @breece

G’day mate,

Your story isn’t unusual I’m afraid. You’ll almost always get conflicting advice, particularly between Town Planning Consultants and Draftsmen. There’s a reason why one is good at Drawing, and the other is good at interpreting the Planning Scheme… This is also the reason why I don’t draw..

At the end of the day, unless you’re comfortable that the consultants are thorough in the preparation of their due diligence and have discussed your proposal with Council, you’ll never really be sure.

There are a lot of really good people on here, both professionals in the industry and those that have vast experience with their own developments. In the end, it’s up to you to get good advice from the right people and go for it.

Just like at the doctors, if you’re not happy with the outcome, you’re always entitled to a second opinion. In your case, why don’t you call Casey Council’s Statutory Planning department and get some answers from the officer on the front counter. They’re also there to help you.

You shouldn’t be left seeing this situation as a “stalemate”, it’s either going to be a straight out yes, or no answer to the proposed Subdivision.

They say “a stitch in time saves nine”, and in our world of Town Planning, I wish someone would come up with a fancy saying for this message “Due Diligence and early engagement with key stakeholders is essential to positive town planning outcomes”

Good luck,
    Breece

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.