All Topics / Value Adding / Rendering a brand new house

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

I would like to know a bit about the pro's and cons of rendering. We are about to build a second Ip same builder as last time and they have just suggested we render the whole house to make it stand out from all the rest. Is this a good idea or not? Or is it just the way the builder cuts costs with the brickwork as it will not be seen. I would be very grateful for you opinion on this. They have quoted an extra $2000 in costs which seems quite low though we are on good terms with them and they did give us a $5000 discount already.

Thanks JPS25

Profile photo of veseliveseli
    @veseli

Rendering is more expensive then face bricks, so he is not cutting costs. It Costs more, maintenance fees are higher over the years, but it looks better and you get better thermal mass. If its the modern European look that you are after then go for it.

Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

Thanks Veseli,

Should we do the whole house as suggested or just the front and will they still use all the same sort of bricks to build with or is it likely to be all the oddments from previous builds left over.

Thanks JPS25

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi JPS

I doubt they're suggesting a rendered finish so they can put up dodgy brickwork. The external walls would need to be in good shape in order to apply the render. To be honest, $2k to get an entire house rendered sounds like a steal.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @jps25

Yes I thought 2k was really good too hence the reason for thinking maybe cheaper bricks etc. We know them quite well as we visited a lot when building the first IP. They also gave us $5k off the price of this one right from the start. Still not 100% sure on rendering for an IP not so much as regards the fact it will need painting down the track as that also adds the option of changing colour and giving a whole new look. More worried about cracking that sort of thing if not done well or looked after properly by the tenants.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you are rendering the walls you do use a cheaper brick. Rendering doesn’t add much to your thermal mass. You’d be better off doing reverse b/v with the timber frame & blue board externally to knock out the heat.

You might consider coloured render so it doesn’t need painting.

Participant
    @jps25

Thanks Scott

I guessed it might be more to do with using cheaper brinks or even an assortment as they are nearing the end of developing this estate. Their houses are all built to 6*rating so probably don't need to be thermal mass though doesnt go amiss.

Apart from of course they like us.

Seriously though think we might just stick to brick as it is for an IP not for ourselfs to live in. Maintainance as regards painting doesn't bother us more worried about cracking later on than anything else I suppose.

Need to have another talk about it before we say yes or no I think, can't knock the price but is it what we want?? Thats the question

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

Cracking comes down to workmanship. Not the price of how much the job is costing you. And for $2000 whats the metreage? This is unbelievable in price from a Builder. I mean even if he gets the sand cost price hes still losing out. I mean theres all the stainless/Galvanized angles, and if you render inside there are the plastic angles, and then shadow lines and wall mesh, its alot of work if its $2000 for inside and outside. (If you do inside). This doesnt sound right, $2000 for a outdoor render, for $5000 off? Sure its not the other way around?

The suggesting to the rendering, is that less workmanship is needed to scour the bricks and also clean, its pretty much lay and swipe and the later throw render on top.

Just because there giving you a cheap price for a job doesnt mean they have the right to walk over you and do the job how they see fit.

Participant
    @jps25
    Thanks everyone for all the comments.

We have decided to stay with brick due to the fact it is an IP and will be less maintainance down the track

Thanks again

JPS25

Participant
    @jps25

Hi

Ok the $2000 was on top of the already fixed price contract for a new investment property, so this is what they said we would need to pay above our already agreed contract price. This is why it seems low as stated above the type of brick used wouldn't have to be factored in they could use anything. They are also the developers of the estate and are nearing the end of it now, not many more to be built. They have built the majority of homes but not all on the estate.

Yes I agree it does or would give street appeal, but at the end of the day we want to hold it long term so there will be maintainance further down the track which as an IP we don't really want.

Also when we do eventually sell it may not be everyone's cup of tea and therefore limit the number of possible buyers interested in it.

It is in a corner position with lots of street access so the builders wanted to make it stand out which is why they offered to do it in render and yes it was going to be the whole house not just the front.

We have decided to go with brick instead, it will be our second Ip on this estate the first being in stage one and this in stage 2.

Oh and the $5K was taken off the contract price right from the beginning before contracts were signed.

Thanks very much for your helpful advice and comments we are still very new to this so was very appreciated.

JPS25

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.