All Topics / Help Needed! / Is anyone invested in mount morgan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of abcd1abcd1
    Participant
    @abcd1

Hi, been taking a closer look at mount morgan knew the area well years ago, maybe a bit emotion blind as have had family live there with bad stories etc. any positives for the area or is it still a dump? :-p

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

2500 people – too small for me to even look at.

A town that small is subject to the vagaries of the main industry, commercial activity or mine. A sneeze in that sector of the economy could result in a major knock to the town's economy and employment numbers.

Being a small town may also see additional finance hurdles you need to jump through. I woulld susupect mortage insurance is not available in Mt Morgan.

Profile photo of abcd1abcd1
    Participant
    @abcd1
    Derek wrote:
    2500 people – too small for me to even look at.

A town that small is subject to the vagaries of the main industry, commercial activity or mine. A sneeze in that sector of the economy could result in a major knock to the town's economy and employment numbers.

Being a small town may also see additional finance hurdles you need to jump through. I woulld susupect mortage insurance is not available in Mt Morgan.

Hi Derek as it is 38klm from Rockhampton mortgage insurance is available as it is less then 50klm from a city

and there is 3000+ people in the area

Mount Morgan is a town located in central Queensland, Australia. It is situated on the Dee River, 38 kilometres south of the city of Rockhampton, and is 680 kilometres north of the state capital, Brisbane. The Burnett Highway passes through the town and is an important gateway to the Bowen Basin region which is responsible for much of the state’s mining and natural resources related industries.

Mount Morgan is located 38 Kilometres South of the City of Rockhampton, 680 km’s north of Brisbane and is well positioned along the Fitzroy & Galillee Coal Basins.

Population and Demographics

Mount Morgan has an approx population of 3000 people and is a part of the Rockhampton Regional Council with a total area population of 115,000.

The Capricorn region of Central Queensland has experienced tremendous growth over the last few years driven primarily by the resource and mining boom. Major regional centres of Rockhampton and Gladstone have reflected this growth with population and property prices forcing residents to look for more affordable alternatives within close proximity. With Mount Morgan located 30 minutes from Rockhampton, it offers home owners & investors alike an opportunity to buy an affordable property offering opportunity for sustained capital growth on the back of the mine about to reopen. With only a handful of new building consents over the past ten years and the majority of housing consisting of up to 100 yr old MINER’S COTTAGES; quality accommodation in Mt Morgan is not just scarce it is non existent. Development of the area has only just begun with developers now realising the potential of the town and all it has to offer.

The story of Mount Morgan

The future growth and prosperity of Mount Morgan will be driven by 4 key areas which make the township unique within the region for its potential; Infrastructure, Economic Opportunity, Lifestyle, and Geography.

Infrastructure

The platform of infrastructure that Mount Morgan presently enjoys is far more superior to its closest rival residential area – Gracemere and includes:

Primary School
    High School
    Hospital
    Day Care Centres
    Aged Care Facilities
    Community Recreation Facilities including bowls, tennis, swimming and sports grounds
    Pristine Recreational Dam that also supplies the town with clean water.
    This level of infrastructure not only means that Mount Morgan has more to offer its residents than Gracemere, but also means that it’s potential to adequately handle the growth we are predicting is also superior.?

Government Social Infrastructure Projects

Better Regions Program – $176 Million Dollars

The Mount Morgan Promotion and Development Board (MMPAD) have also developed strategic plans to tap into available Government Funding for further infrastructure improvements. The MMPAD has identified Mount Morgan as an ideal candidate for funding from the 176 million dollar Better Regions program, which the Government has created in an effort to deliver on its election promise to provide regional Australia with much needed community facilities and services.

MMPAD will push hard for funding from this program for infrastructure such as;

Revitalisation of town’s main streets
    Multi-purpose community and resource centres
    Major sport and recreational venues
    Community transport infrastructure
    As the Government looks to create jobs, and shore up the economy with its Nation Building scheme, where better to improve infrastructure than in a township with as much economic growth potential as Mount Morgan.

Economic Opportunity

The township itself has enormous potential for economic growth through the following areas;

Tourism

Mount Morgan enjoys A number of key historic attractions making Mount Morgan a unique destination; Heritage listed gold mine and important palaeontology discoveries. Recognised historic township with many heritage listed buildings and monuments. Caravan Parks can cater for large caravans/motor-homes; Golf Course

Mining

The reopening of the Mount Morgan mine to extract gold, copper and pyrites identified in a 643 ha registered mining lease surrounding the township, will of course mean that the employees of the mine and associated service industries will drive up the demand for housing in the region. This project is scheduled to run 12 years, providing, and especially with the current gold trends, an initial springboard for rapid growth, which, when the project is completed will have opened the doors for sustained growth and service to further CQ industries that the township of Mount Morgan can both drive and benefit from.

Geography

The geographical location and the established social and physical infrastructure of the Rockhampton district make it ideally placed to capitalise on further developments in the following industries as they grow in our region;

Mining
    Agricultural
    Manufacturing
    Utilities
    Construction
    Transportation
    Communications
    Service
    Tourism
    Retail
    This potential for growth in the Central Queensland region was recognised by Professor Ross Garnaut in his study “Australia and the North Asian Ascendancy”, as each of the key elements outlined in his economic strategy is present within the Rockhampton Region. As Rockhampton grows, and people search for affordable housing without sacrificing lifestyle, Synergy Mount Morgan, with access to more facilities than is offered at Gracemere will be well placed to capitalise on the growth that the Rockhampton Region will and is enjoying.

Lifestyle

Residents can choose from large family home blocks or semi-rural lots as their base to enjoy the small close knit community lifestyle, gatherings at the local recreational dam and regular craft markets, with the security enjoyed by all of the other facilities identified in this document such as the hospital. Not to mention of course, that residents escape the heat that Rockhampton has to offer, being always 4-6 degrees cooler due to its elevation.

All the while Mount Morgan is only 25 minutes away from the hub of Rockhampton for work, an hour from the southern Mining communities or a pleasant 60 minutes drive away from the pristine beaches of the Capricorn Coast for play on the weekends.

Summary

Our meticulous research into the area and common sense dictate that Mount Morgan is the next logical step. It is the next boom town, and the timing with the current economic climate could not be better. Crisis or not, as outlined above, Rockhampton and Mount Morgan will grow, and with that growth will come demand.

Projects and Proposals

Mount Morgan Gold Mine – Redevelopment and re opening mine again. ( Recently acquired by Hong Kong Consortium – Value – TBA

Better Regions Program – $176mill – Government funded initiative to upgrade and improve facilities and services with the area

The Eulogie Project – located 23km South – Located close to the World Class Bulk Tonnage Infrastructure and is a mine similar to the Hawkwood Iron Ore Project

Panorama Ridge – 500 Residential Lots – 500 Lots Adjoining the soon to be expanded Mount Morgan Golf Course – $60mill Gross realisation

Mount Morgan Hospital upgrade – $14mill – Already commenced

Galilee & Bowen Basin – 70,000 Jobs and Mount Morgan will get the flow on effect of these latest projects and expansions.

Pricing & Rental Profi

With a huge under supply of rentals & quality housing the stats are about to be re written and at the time of writing this report only 5 houses were available in the entire town to rent.

The town is screaming out for quality accommodation with the average rental still only $200 – $250 pw but comprising only of cottages and quaint country houses. Mine or industry workers are actively seeking better quality housing so all of the key factors for property growth have emerged and we see some instant equity available here for the investors that jump in early.

The Average house price in 2008 was $306,000 and has seen little shift till this year and we see it 60% undervalued when compared to this nearest neighbour Gracemere. With several key residential estate’s about to be brought on and the re opening of the Gold Mine these past figures will soon be old news.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi abcd,

Notice the summary text states "our meticulous research' and 'the town is screaming out for' and 'actively seeking better quality housing'

Sounds like a marketing spiel to me.

2500/3000 still seems too small.

LMI being available is a good sign though.

I live 20kms from a major regional city in WA and our local market bears no similarity to the market in the regional city. On this basis I would not be assuming what happens in Rockhampton will, by default, flow onto Mount Morgan.
    Just my thoughts  

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.