All Topics / Opinionated! / LNG is the future of car fuels in USA and most likely Australia too

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

I recently received an email advising that US is about to pass a bill to encourage Americans to convert cars to natural gas.

You can see the bill here http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr1380ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr1380ih.pdf

The theory is that US is fast running out of oil and they have significant reserves of natural gas. Internationally, we are already past peak oil. Expect all vehicles in the US in the next 10-20 years to be produced with natural gas as the fuel.

You can imagine the impact this will have in Australia too, with Holden and Ford factories which export to USA and with the abundance of natural gas in Australia, I can see us following suit.

Places like Karratha, Port Hedland and Gladstone will soon be like the middle east for vehicle fuels, let the good times roll :)

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz
    Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Both Aus and NZ have been down this path several times (with LPG) and usually with subsidies to encourage conversion. Seems to be a fad thing depending on the price of fuel.

They already run trucks on a diesel gas mix that improves efficiency. They even installed their own gas filling points to facilitate it in the outback. Mitchell's have been doing it since 2009. Yanks are a bit behind the times.

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

The electrification of the transport system is the next big thing, most of the car companies agree that its not if but when this becomes a major thing,

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

catinthehat, I agree with you, also I am skeptical of the Co2 benefits of everyone driving electric cars in a country like Australia, where 74% of our electricity comes from Coal power. The more electric cars on the road the more Coal we need to burn, go figure.

Profile photo of bigdellbigdell
    Participant
    @bigdell

You need to watch the doco called “Gasland” or “Gasland 2” By Josh Fox.

Opens your eyes a little.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.