All Topics / General Property / investing in the hunter Valley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Tom017Tom017
    @tom017

Hi there,

Is anyone investing in the Hunter Valley. If so do you mind giving your thoughts on where you think the best places are. I have been looking at muswellbrook due to the fact that there seems to be  quite a bit of infrastrucure and development in the area and mines increasing their out put.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards 

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi Thommo

If you havn't done it yet, type in "muswellbrook" In search bar top right corner. A few threads will appear. I have a couple of properties there myself which are going well. The local council is proactive and aware that the rapidly expanding population will require increased services and amenities. They have purchased a large heritage building in the main street and are talking about a theatre and other facilities there. They are also upgrading the main street of town. There is a large council owned undeveloped area of prime real estate on the south-western entry to town which they have rezoned and plan to develop into a "light industrial" zone. Hungry Jacks have opened a new outlet, and KFC recently located to a new, bigger, and better facility. Of course, the impetus behind all the activity is created by new and expanding mines.

Regards

Profile photo of DAMPropertyDAMProperty
    Participant
    @damproperty

A friend purchased a property in Ashtonfield (near Maitland I'm told) in November 2009 in a new estate. They have had a change in tenants but have had no problems in renting and the rent has increased substantially so they are very happy with it.

DAMProperty | DAM Accounting Services
    https://www.damaccountingservices.com.au

Profile photo of PositiveMiniPositiveMini
    @positivemini

Hi Thommo,

We recently purchased in the Hunter Valley region, in Maitland. The vacancy rate is very low, properties are very solid and sound and there is a lot of government spend in the area in terms of new infrastructure. The town is well equipped with plenty of big name brand stores, hospitals and schools and good transport. Don’t let the doom and gloomers affect your decision making as there is always someone out there telling you to do otherwise.

Do you research and if the stats and numbers match up, then go for it. The worst mistake is to do nothing at all.
    Good luck and let us know how you go!

P.s The Hunter Valley region is a marginal government seat so both parties take strongly to that area and will do a lot to keep it on side.

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Hi Thommo

I have been investing in the Hunter Valley Area since 2003  (I am based in Sydney) and haven't looked back since making that decision – Its a great place to invest in my opinion and with the following infrastructure investment I believe the Hunter will only get better with time.

$1.1bil Mangoola coal mine; $320mil expansion of BHP Billiton’s Mt Arthur mine;
    $2bil power station; multiple mines & power stations; gas pipeline to Liddell power
    station; $1.4bil Hunter Expressway; $1bil current upgrade to Newcastle port; $1.7bil
    in further port upgrades; $1bil upgrade to rail links to port

I actually have some photos of 6 of Projects that I have done up there on my Facebook page (if your interested)

I word of caution – Do your homework as there are the not so good and the better parts of town.

cheers

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

Hi Thommo,
    Ive talked to a number of agents in Kurri Kurri and all have said rentals are as scarce as hens teeth and getting even tighter. The Hunter Expressway will have entry/exit interchange in both directions at Kurri, most of the other interchanges are only in one direction. The Eastern section (Kurri to F3) is 13km @ 110km/h = 7mins travel time. At present I think it takes roughly 20 minutes to do that trip so its a significant saving, due to finish end of 2013. Coles and Aldi have recently gone in, there is also a Mcdonalds and KFC. There are also a few mines close by (not as many as further up the valley).
    Just my 2 cents

Profile photo of RickgRickg
    @rickg

Hi Thommo,
    Newcastle Port is largest coal exporter in the world! & constantly growing, & the Hunter valley wont be running out of coal anytime soon. if you are investing in the hunter property market stay close to the infrastucture corridors, as far as suburbs go that`s a personal choice & depends on wether you wish to be next to a coal mine or not, consider the resale options: will an owner occupier buy the property or will you be limited to other investors.

I hope this helps.
    thanks

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar

have been looking at regional towns of muswellbrook, maitland and singleton. Just wondering which town would be the best to invest in for capital growth?

Also, I've been having trouble finding data on new mines that are existing and proposed in the area showing workforce etc, nsw planning website is terrible unlike qld's department of mines!!

Can anyone provide any links of maps showing where the mines and projects will be located? the ones from nsw planning are useless

Thanks

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar
    Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Thommo388 wrote:
    Hi there,

Is anyone investing in the Hunter Valley.

Yes, have a fair few clients investing in these parts.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta
    PositiveMini wrote:
    Hi Thommo, We recently purchased in the Hunter Valley region, in Maitland. The vacancy rate is very low, properties are very solid and sound and there is a lot of government spend in the area in terms of new infrastructure. The town is well equipped with plenty of big name brand stores, hospitals and schools and good transport. Don't let the doom and gloomers affect your decision making as there is always someone out there telling you to do otherwise. Do you research and if the stats and numbers match up, then go for it. The worst mistake is to do nothing at all. Good luck and let us know how you go! P.s The Hunter Valley region is a marginal government seat so both parties take strongly to that area and will do a lot to keep it on side.

Nice advice there PositiveMini.
    I've holidayed at Hunter Valley, but never really thought of investing there.
    The very low vacancy rates sounds great

Profile photo of jlb2431jlb2431
    @jlb2431

Hi,
    I live and work in the Hunter Valley, I am a surveyor that has worked extensively in the coal industry for the last 10 years and unless the coal prices fall significantly the valley is an investors dream. But you must approach with caution, miners on large wages will pay massively inflated prices for homes, so I found buying the lower end freestanding houses, with my eye on tenants in the mine support industries that surround the area, the best option IE engineering workshops in industrial areas. These people are well paid but tend to not want the highend rents.
    Look into Rutherford, Telarah that are in the Maitland area, also the "ripple" suburbs Greta, Branxton and North Rothury that will be affected by the Hunter Expressway. Singleton is experiencing some improvements including a new shopping centre which may boost the town but more people with families are choosing to travel to work from the Maitland area.
    A quick look at the RTA website at the road improvements states that after completion the freeway may cut up-to half an hour off the travel from the upper hunter to Newcastle, as Maitland and Newcastle are the desired places of residence due to better Schools (private) and Beaches as well as other weekend activities I use this as a large decider in my choices. Workers travelling from Maitland and Newcastle will experience shorter travel times.
    There are mines further up the Valley around Muswellbrook and proposed sites as far up as Scone, there is also huge potential but the market does become very competitive.

These are just my experiences in the area and my current opinions. The Hunter Valley so large with alot of surrounding industries including various agriculture and vineyards, with a very low vacancy rates. Happy hunting!!

Regards

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

We have been investing in residential property between Raymond Terrace and Singleton since 2003 and we're very happy we did.  However I do have to agree with 'Key' above, i.e. there are some lower socio economic 'war zones' in the area that are very tempting because of their lower price point.  We now stay well away from them and the upper end of the market.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

A number of my highly sought after friends who are fitters have just had their hours drastically reduced / let go in the hunter valley due to lowering demand from China.

They say they have too much coal as is and don't know what to do with it.

Thoughts on property due to lowering demand of resources?

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi NHG

Who is "They" that says they have too much coal? That statement should come with some form of varification or it is not worth repeating. We are all aware that China's rapid expansion has been reined in by their government, and the European issues are having negative impacts throughout the world. However, China's government appears to be happy with the current rate of growth, and apparently are taking measures to maintain a growth rate of around 7-8%. As a natural consequence of the uncertain future in Europe and concern about the ability of China to balance their economy, mining companies are rethinking their expansion plans, and in some cases delaying projects while they reassess and wait to see where the chips fall. If Europe manages to stay away from the cliff's edge, and if China"s growth continues at the current rate, demand for resources should remain high. I think we're in a bit of a "let's wait and see" phase, but it's too early to let negativity prevail.
      In Muswellbrook, the final construction decision for Mount Pleasant mine has apparently been delayed by Rio Tinto as they reassess their entire portfolio of new and planned projects. However, in the last couple of weeks they have begun an upgrade to Wybong Road, which is a requirement of the development consent for Mount Pleasant.
      At the Mangoola mine, Xstrata have recently received approval to relocate the 10KVA powerline that bisects the mine. They have initiated preliminary measures to prepare for the process of moving those lines, at a great cost. They are also going ahead with plans to construct a handling system to bypass the washing plant with the highest quality coal mined on the site.They are currently continuing the ongoing process of hireing more staff and operational personnel.  
      I have heard on the grapevine that BHP's Mount Arthur mine has stopped hiring at the moment, after a previous large intake, but I have no personal knowledge to shed any light on what is happening there.
      From my own observations, I am aware that there has been a VERY high demand for fitters in the Hunter Valley and other mining areas. I would be very surprised if your mates encounter in difficulty in finding suitable employment.

Cheers, Tony

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.