All Topics / Help Needed! / DONT READ THIS

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)
  • Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

hahahaha I have your attention now.

Hey guys,

Just purchased a unit for $155k returning $260 per week. Although not cashflow positive its only costing me $20 a week before depreciation tax to hold and its within 1 hour drive of Sydney CBD. Im pretty stoked with this deal bringing my tally to 3 properties now all bought within the last 6 months . I would like other peoples opinion as to what they think about having a portfolio of 10or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared? I have 2 other properties on the cards and am planning to continue investing with this strategy in place. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Is there some sort of cosmic secret to have evolved here?

First of all .. congratulations Engelo on finding out all about neutral to postively geared property investment. Despite the numerous books published over the last ten years specifically on the subject. Despite the fact that most authors say its a way to build a healthy and large portfolio quickly.

If you have any major revelations about the discovery of fire .. and the wheel .. feel free to spread the news of this too.

In all seriousness .. kudos to you for opening your eyes to the fact that a property workhorse for you doesnt need to be enslaving you in an unrecoverable debt structure.

There are lots of deals to be made in the current market. I'm picking up investments returning 8% gross .. borrowing at 6.75% and gearing them so the 2% outlay for water .. rates and maintenance is covered by the income. Its a very sweet deal.

And I go to friend's parties where they talk about the doom and gloom of the stockmarket .. bonds and of course property. And I hand them a drink .. and comiserate for them. All the while laughing all the way to the bank.

Keep it a secret. We dont want anyone else to find out 

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Owning 10 properties that are neutrally geared in almost all circumstances can only be a good thing.

Over time rents go up, so they move to positively geared. Over time prices go up, which gives you even more profit in your pocket. Eventually you could use the increased rental income to pay off the mortgages without effecting your cash flow a great deal. Then you own 10 properties free and clear all producing an income.

If you are getting $260/week for 10 properties then that is $2,600/week or over $100,000/year in income. Not too shabby.

Ryan McLean
    CashFlow Investor
    Read my blog post: How To Buy Multiple Properties

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    engelo10 wrote:
    I would like other peoples opinion as to what they think about having a portfolio of 10or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared? I have 2 other properties on the cards and am planning to continue investing with this strategy in place. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Engelo

Providing the properties are also experiencing some form of capital growth – then it’s obviously a good thing. Even without strong CG – if you’re able to increase rents regularly then they should be returning money to you in the near future.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks for the replies.
    I have already spoken to the property managers regarding $10-$20 annual increases in rent.

@ xdrew
    hahaha
    Thanks for your comment mate my eyes are wide open now. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Congrats on your purchases mate.

It is a great buy you mentioned of on Facebook. Especially seeing its within Sydney metro area and $30,000 below comparable sales in the block.

Keep up the good work.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks mate, love your educational videos.
    When are some new one’s coming up?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nathan-birch

I just did a new one the other day.

Here is the link – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRPTPfTMs4

Participant
    @engelorumora

A bit of a change of scenery, no burnt or vandalized house in the backround haha
    Keep em coming mate, love those kinda reno’s haha

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of JackFlashJackFlash
    @jackflash
    engelo10 wrote:
    hahahaha I have your attention now.

Hey guys,

Just purchased a unit for $155k returning $260 per week. Although not cashflow positive its only costing me $20 a week before depreciation tax to hold and its within 1 hour drive of Sydney CBD. Im pretty stoked with this deal bringing my tally to 3 properties now all bought within the last 6 months . I would like other peoples opinion as to what they think about having a portfolio of 10or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared? I have 2 other properties on the cards and am planning to continue investing with this strategy in place. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Engelo

155k is that including ingoing costs or excluding (buy price)…. returning $260/wk – so you have it leased??

Its negatively geared – costs you $20/wk

1hr from Syd CBD – like where would that be. There’s a lot of km’s 1 hr drive heading out depending on time of day. Midnight’ll get you to the Blue Mountains.

“Im pretty stoked with this deal bringing my tally to 3 properties” sounds like your more about acquiring properties to up your personal score.

“10 or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared” What does ‘pretty much’ mean and is 10 a magic number or something.

So lets see. You’ve bought into an asset class that is coming off the biggest credit bubble in history. Values are moving down at varying rates depending on location and value position in the market. For all intents and purposes you are negatively geared. Because you are negatively geared I’d say you’re probably highly leveraged.

My guess is your investing strategy revolves around property values appreciating and rents going up.

Here’s what I think is MOST likely but not necessarily so.

Property values will continue to decline overall as concerns over global financial stability continues to dominate. Rents will come under pressure as rising unemployment starts to hit the working class harder and harder however lay-offs will come across the employment spectrum. CBD areas may take the initial brunt as financial institutions lay-off 1000’s (67000+ in Europe and 10000+ in the US in the last few months alone). Inner city areas may in fact have some of the highest unemployment rates.

Many analysts believe stagflation (increasing inflation with decreasing asset values) is occurring already. This suggests that while economies might stall or go into recession (note there is a growing consensus that the global economy is already in recession and heading for a depression) central banks will be forced to raise rates to contain inflation. On top of that it is also like that banks will push rates even higher as cost of borrowing in a liquidity crises continue to rise.

The problems that face property investors is that globally forces are growing that will in all likelihood overwhelm you. If you take the attitude “She’ll be right”, Australia is different, property always goes up then I’m afraid you’re doomed.

The next financial crunch already has a name… The Great Correction. It’ll make the 1930’s era Depression look like a walk in the park by comparison. How it plays out and when things finally snaps is anyone’s guess.

Like all investors in any market. If you’re over leveraged and holding the wrong assets you’ll be wiped out. Smart investors deleverage and shift their wealth to safe(r) asset classes to ride out market turmoil. Property is the least safe of all places.

See you on the bread line ;-)

Participant
    @nathan-birch

I need to comment again.

I know Engelo personally and he has purchased 3 already with 2 others which are going through settlement phases.

His goal is $50,000pa in 5 yrs cash-flow positive from his properties. Yes if someone buys flippantly they will cause themselves harm and be in a not so good position but Engelo has gone out on his own and purchased his properties below market value and adding “equity” via minor cosmetic upgrades and bringing in strong yields.

Is he hoping for massive gains overnight? no. Is his risk large? no!

Why? Because he has bought below market so if prices fall 20% he can still get out relatively unscaived. + Why does he need to sell if the property is self sufficient? The properties comparable after chatting offline to Engelo are good consistent properties which chug along no matter what market we see.

I actually think he will get $280pw on his purchase from what info he has disclosed to me, not as advice but as a friend so with that he is talking conservative. Whats the problem with unemployment? He is buying in bread and butter locations so even on Dole cheques they can still pay the rent. We are not talking $600pw property here.

I say this as he is a little “green” but is well and truly on the way to having a solid portfolio. His leverage is under control and I remember same comments being thrown my way 5+ years ago on various sites. Don’t get disheartened here Engelo, if you have a plan for your strategy and its working and getting you closer to your goal then good luck.

If the properties rent rses $10pw each year for next 10 years thats $5000 cf+pa on only 1 deal.

Who here doesn’t do a $10pw rent increase?

Just my two cents.

p.s. keep up the good work.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Jackflash,

I appreciate your response but have to apologise for not being educated enough to understand your philosophy. I think the property is around 3 hours from Sydney CBD if you go on roller blades. (or as we are talking about the 1930s it would take 4,5 hours on my horse and cart) jksss haha

The $20 per week is before depreciation. IMO I dont believe in capital growth as its a prediction, I look at the numbers in the deal and make my decision (any CG is a bonus). I am confident that there are quite a few people out there that could hold if we must get so formal a NEGATIVELY GEARED property for $20 per week.

$155k is excluding costs. Property was purchased $25k below most recent comparables within same complex of same property size(source RP Data) so there is a bit of a margin of safety if prices drop. I am interested in purchasing as many properties I can implementing the strategy I have in place and so far it has been successful. I am not a fan of bread and carbs so I shall keep eating my steak and protein.

engelo10

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Jackflash,

Just have a question for you as im a bit curious. How would you go about achieving a passive income of $50k per annum minimising risk, ensuring capital growth and a solid exit solid strategy if your were starting off today? By the way how many properties do you own?
    Thanks for your time.

ps. Nathan, thanks for the vote of confidence

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    engelo10 wrote:
    Hi Jackflash, I appreciate your response but have to apologise for not being educated enough to understand your philosophy.

Don't apologise Engelo – there will always be people like that out there.

Keep it up mate – sounds like you're on your way.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@jackflash

Nathan – His goal is $50,000pa in 5 yrs cash-flow positive from his properties.

Engelo – a portfolio of 10or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared.

I have a problem reconciling these two statements

Engelo – have to apologise for not being educated enough to understand your philosophy

It's not that hard Engelo.

Nathan – Why? Because he has bought below market

A property spruiker favouite. So they sold it below market value because they had plenty of buyers lined up – give me a break. Whatever you pay IS market value. You just set a benchmark for that area. In other words prices MAY be slipping in that area.

Nathan – consistent properties which chug along no matter what market we see

That kind of advise scares me especially when a young fella like Nathan who has only ever known good times comes up with perla's like that. Any investor who thinks his investment is bullet proof needs a wake up call.

Nathan – He is buying in bread and butter locations so even on Dole cheques they can still pay the rent

Been on the dole lately. I sure as hell know i's struggle to pay circa $300/wk. My guess is that any tenant with financial difficulties will soon start to skip their rent. Buy the time you evict them you'll be out the door $1000's. Think it doesn't happen? then you need to read around this forum a bit more.

Nathan – I say this as he is a little "green" but is well and truly on the way to having a solid portfolio

Would that be the one with 10 properties that are " pretty much neutrally geared" or the mystical ones that will somehow produce $50k

Nathan – If the properties rent rses $10pw each year for next 10 years thats $5000 cf+pa on only 1 deal.

And if rents drop $40/wk that's around $10k in the hole per year. And that reminds me of the guy who's $20k down after 5 yrs and down $10k/yr after claiming every conceivable tax deduction he can. Bet he thought 5 yrs ago he couldn't lose. He's in this forum.

Nathan – Who here doesn't do a $10pw rent increase

That would be the 100's of landlords across Aus trying to get tenants. Their rents are going down dare I say the 'down' word.

Engelo- I am confident that there are quite a few people out there that could hold if we must get so formal a NEGATIVELY GEARED property for $20 per week.

Agh yes but can you handle 10 at $40ng/wk while your beating the sidewalk looking for a new job.

Engelo – $155k is excluding costs. Property was purchased $25k below most recent comparables within same complex of same property size(source RP Data) so there is a bit of a margin of safety if prices drop.

There's no margin for safety in a falling market. You bought at $25k below because that was market price at the time. You think ppl think oh what nice guy Engelo is I'll let him have for a $25k discount. Wake up!!!

Engelo – I am interested in purchasing as many properties I can implementing the strategy I have in place and so far it has been successful

Successful! You've owned 3 properties for less than 6 months and you can't articulate a clear strategy about how it all pulls together.

Engelo – How would you go about achieving a passive income of $50k per annum minimising risk, ensuring capital growth and a solid exit solid strategy if your were starting off today

Now that would be the business I have that cost $40k, takes about 25hrs per week and nets around $200 -250k. I don't worry about capital growth because I have very little capital invested. Risk management is more about where to go next with an opportunity should this one expire unexpectantly.

Do I own property – no. used to be a property developer many moons ago. Made a lot lost a lot. Learnt that money isn't everything. Now I prefer a little stock investing, investing in high return businesses kicking back when the mood takes me.

Property is just an investment sector. It is neither good nor bad. You should think of yourself as an investor NOT simply a property investor. Every sector offers opportunities but not all the time. Property has had its day for the time being. It will come again in about 3 – 5 years is a rough guess. At the moment there aren't any good places to invest but you can speculate, however, speculating is high risk and not recommended for green horns.

<moderator: delete personal comments>

You're learning to be an offensive investor. Learn how to be a defensive investor and you'll round your investor skill set out and hopefully survive and succeed were others fail.

Good luck

Participant
    @engelorumora

I am not a fan of this back and forth battering over the computer. I am always open to everyone’s thought and opinion but do not appreciate being provocated for simply starting a topic on this forum. I am more than happy to meet in person and resolve the matter.

Regards,
    Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

@jackflash

Engelo is this not what you requested:

” I would like other peoples opinion as to what they think about having a portfolio of 10or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared”

Are you only after positive reinforcement which usually includes masking or simply excluding the true picture.

Forums like these offer valuable information especially that of a technical nature. They, however, are not so good at providing a balanced view when opinion is called for. There are only a few ppl here who will give it to you straight from the hip.

I’ve critiqued what you and Nathan have said and found way too many holes in your plan. Based on current market conditions and a deteriorating global economy I see no upside in your plan or strategy only loosely based assumptions with a heavy upside bias that ignores every market indicator. If I was to describe your current buying spree and accompanying strategy I could only describe it as reckless at best.

You could of course argue your case with facts and figures. I look forward to those with interest.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Mate,
    I appreciate your comments but IMO this below is very provocative:

1hr from Syd CBD – like where would that be. There’s a lot of km’s 1 hr drive heading out depending on time of day. Midnight’ll get you to the Blue Mountains.

“Im pretty stoked with this deal bringing my tally to 3 properties” sounds like your more about acquiring properties to up your personal score.

“10 or more properties that are pretty much neutrally geared” What does ‘pretty much’ mean and is 10 a magic number or something.

Anyways lets move on enough of this battering, you can go post more negativity on othe people’s topics or wait untill I post something new again hahaha

Regards,
    Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

@jackflash
    engelo10 wrote:
    Anyways lets move on enough of this battering, you can go post more negativity on othe people’s topics or wait untill I post something new again hahaha

Regards,
    Engelo

Your problem Engelo is you’ve been caught out blowing off like you’re some astute PI when in fact both you and Nathan can’t substantiate your claims.

As for negativity I’ve simply questioned the discrepancies in your assumptions and you still can back them with anything remotely substantive.

If you think this is a battering then I think you will find the next few years incredibly trying.

The reason you’ve been taken to task is twofold; to make you stop and think more comprehensively about PI so that you can better survive into the years ahead; and secondly signal to others, who are not so knowledgeable but looking for information, that spurious claims by wannaby PIs aren’t all they’re made out to be.

A lot of the investment theory/philosophy I see espoused here is easily debunked with a few critical questions. Once exposed they immediately label one as ‘negative’ as a counter to their somewhat questionable advice. There are many industry professionals here (I use the word professional lightly), evidenced by their signature blocks, that offer dubious encouragement much of the time. I find the paradox of a professional who provides excellent technical advice to someone who’s either in or entering into an often highly leveraged high risk investment as ludicrous. The analogy would be the coach giving a swimmer last minute coaching tips knowing full well the chances of making it across the channel are remote and one will likely drown!

I see you like the swimmer. I’m trying to tell you don’t swim your gonna drown because the sea’s too rough. Ppl like Nathan though are strapping bricks around your waist and saying “Go for it Engelo you can do it”.

But anyway you’re a big boy now albeit with a thin hide. I’m not optimistic about your chances but good luck anyway.

@jackflash

The Great Correction nears……..

Quote:
    The ‘L’ word is back

Fear gripped European banks last night, of a kind we have not seen since the collapse of Lehman in 2008 which brought on the global financial crisis. As I explain below, Australia will not be immune.

But when Lehman collapsed it was fear of the unknown. This time markets are scared of what they actually know – that if major European banks wrote down their Greek, Spanish, Italian and other European sovereign debt holdings to the current market, their equity capital would be wiped out.

That fear makes banks nervous about lending to each other and pushes up the cost of the wholesale money that Australian banks need. Australia’s banks are among the world’s largest wholesale borrowers, but fortunately most of our banks have borrowed their immediate requirements.

The flight out of the euro pushed up the US dollar and will depress our currency, particularly as commodity prices are falling. In turn our sharemarket is also likely to be affected.

Deutsche Bank took some of the heaviest punishment because its chief Josef Ackermann actually mentioned the ‘L’ word, saying the situation resembled that of the panic that followed the collapse of US investment bank Lehman Brothers in 2008 (European shares hit 2-week low, September 5; Europe’s bank fears blow out, September 6).

But Deutsche is one of the banks in the front line in this crisis because it was a heavy investor on the damaged sovereign debt bonds.

You will remember in the global road map at the Hayman Leadership Retreat, the global traders said Europe would be forced to abandon the ineffective schemes to paper over the problem. As Karen Maley explained yesterday, already Greece is turning its back on its austerity obligations (Greece hits an austerity wall, September 5).

The traders are demanding that Europe adopt a solution of substance. There are only two – either Germany or a few others leave the euro which then slumps, bankrupting a series of German and French banks led by Deutsche. Not surprisingly, Deutsche shares fell 9 per cent last night. The second solution is for all European states to joint and severally guarantee all European bonds. That will maintain the banks but will crush the German economy. Again, not surprisingly, the German share index, the DAX, is leading Europe down.

Neither are pleasant solutions.

Source; Business Spectator, Robert Gottliebsen http://tiny.tw/8SR
    Published 6:30 AM, 6 Sep 2011

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.