All Topics / Commercial Property / Warehouse / Zoning Info

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of anthonyqanthonyq
    Participant
    @alpha22

Hello All,

Does anyone have any info on a warehouse conversion (to a house)? Basically want to take a rustic warehouse, rent it for a few yrs, then  design and applying for permits then convert it.

I was wondering where i can find more info on zoning? And what's allowed in what zone so i can start to source a warehouse?

I've taken a look at the council's and land.vic.gov.au site but cant really find much (that i can understand). I can see what zone area's are in, but where can i find a set of rules for res,bus,ind area's etc?

Has anyone done this type of thing before, and was is easily done?

Thanks

Profile photo of PZR ReportPZR Report
    @pzr-report

Hi Anthony,

Great question.  In the United States we have companies such as The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation whose sole purpose is Zoning Reports, Zoning Analysis and Zoning Due Diligence for commercial properties.  The PZR Report is America's premier zoning report.

I would suggest searching those terms in Australia or contacting a commercial lender to see who they utilize for these type of services.

Good luck,
    Robin

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

Hi Anthony,
    In terms of the most common zones in Victoria the ones that allow houses are the residential zones, mixed use zone and business zone (though there are restrictions in this zone).  You can find out the planning controls by looking up the relevant planning scheme here http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/index.html

Having done some work in Yarra (which is one of the councils that have these old warehouse buildings) you need to check the zone to see what can be done.  Many of these areas are still industrially zoned and living in them is prohibited.

Good luck with your project

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The information is freely available but not easily understood.

In trying to find a property that is suitable, I would suggest looking at those suburbs in which these conversions are already taking place. For example we're currently doing one in Collingwood, and there are plenty of others around that area.

Another option I had been considering, as I am personally interested in this type of conversion, is to look at well established provincial centres. In essence some of these towns (like Ballarat and Bendigo) were built not long after Melbourne and have some wonderful old buildings that could be converted. As these towns become more cosmopolitan I believe demand will increase for "inner city" dwelling types.

Profile photo of anthonyqanthonyq
    Participant
    @alpha22

Thanks for the info guys.  I was hoping to find in Bruswick, but can only find industrial zoning (even if they are close to houses).  Collingwood seems like a great idea, same sort of funky outlay.

Does anyone have tips in finding commercial properties. It's hard as most don't list prices on the net and only a few list zoning.  The need something like domain for commercial (commercialrealestate.com.au isn't really feature rich).

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

I like your idea on the region centres, Christian. 

I worked in Moreland CC for a while. From memory there might be areas that the Council is looking to redevelop for mixed use/housing so it might be worth talking to the council or getting someone to investigate potential suitable areas.  I think that it might be easier to identify potential areas first and then try to acquire the property (maybe even directly?).  Actually I just had a quick look and yes, Moreland have categorised their industrial areas into four categories including ones suitable for mixed use or residential development.  It is probable that some of these areas have not been rezoned because until someone is ready to develop the council is happy for it to stay as is.  However these areas will be time consuming to identify. so as Christian says it may be easier to go where the conversions are already happening.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

domain.com.au does have commercial property try domaincommercial.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.