All Topics / Help Needed! / Info on a rural NSW property

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of teds01teds01
    @teds01

Hi,

Friends of ours are considering what their next move should be in regards to an IP they own in rural NSW. I suggested they obtain a Residex report or something similar as it may provide some guidance for what they should do next.

If anyone can help, please PM me.

Cheers

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi teds01

A residex report on its own is a bit like a vegetarian being given an uncooked rump steak. Seriously though, why do they want to do anything, what do they want to do, what are they trying to achieve?
    Is it rented out with a stable tennant or is it empty? Are they trying to release equity or use it to by another place?
    BIt more info and someone will be able to assist.

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

What are comparable properties in the area selling for or being listed at? Check out http://www.onthehouse.com.au to gain a snapshot of the area.

Check out HTW month in review for commentary on the area – http://www.htw.com.au/Month_in_Review/Month-In-Review-August-2011.pdf

As stated above though – what's the main motivation behind selling?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of teds01teds01
    @teds01

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

It's a difficult situation. Lets just say the three parties involved do not have common goals in regards to the IP. One party has moved in and is currently the tenant, as they believed the property could not be tenanted in it's current condition. It was left empty for 9 months because of this. I have inspected it, and feel that it is fine. They make assumptions that the possible $10K per year will be used totally for maintenance! etc etc….

There is a minimal mortgage on the property so it should be cash flow positive. However, the motivation I guess is that they realize they could just sell it, pocket the proceeds and move on.

My suggestion was they find a property manager, look for good long term tenants, and leave it be, while looking at ways they can release equity for their own situations. However, I am unsure if this is possible, unsure of future growth, if they release equity, it may no longer be cash flow positive. If it was negatively geared, I am unsure how that may benefit their individual situations.

Also it is a difficult property to find comparable sales for, it is an acreage property but in a size that is in between properties in the area. It looks like properties in the area stay on the market for a considerable time, there seems to be plenty of different properties available. The few appraisals they have received have had has ranged reasonably.

I was hoping to get a snapshot of the local area and the property itself as there may be some useful information for them that might help them.

Any advice on this? I'm thinking it's best to let them be. I just see their situation as a good start to getting them on their way with their financial future, and as a friend, just trying to help if possible.

Also, what other options can people suggest to obtain a true valuation of their properties? Comparable sales I guess has to be one of the best ways, but how do you obtain this info on the web?

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    teds01 wrote:
    Also, what other options can people suggest to obtain a true valuation of their properties? Comparable sales I guess has to be one of the best ways, but how do you obtain this info on the web?

Hi Teds

To get a true valuation you really need to fork out for a registered valuer to come and value the property.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.