All Topics / Help Needed! / Asset Protection Permit

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of The ImmigrantThe Immigrant
    @the-immigrant

Hi Everyone.
    Just want to pick your thoughts on Asset Protect Permit required by council. It's my first time to hear about it. Council requires the owners of the property to pay a bond before start of any building construction. This is to ensure that the property owners restore the footpath or nature strip if ever it is damaged during building construction. Shouldn't this be the responsibility of the builder? Is it common practice that builder are required to repair any damage done to the footpath or naturestip if they damaged it during construction.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

yep, standard practice. Also tree protection. Make sure your builder pays not you.

Profile photo of The ImmigrantThe Immigrant
    @the-immigrant

The invoice is addressed to us as property owners. Does that mean I should be giving the invoice to the builder for him to pay the permit and bond?

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Is it a bond that you get a 100% refund or is it a permit, with a defined cost?
    If it is a bond, its that the total of your liability or just a 'part payment'?
    Seems to me to be just another scam to get more money out of land owners (I refer also to the 'development contribution' for 'alledged upgrade of the community (I was under the understanding that what local rates are for….taking 2 bits at the same cherry.

@the-immigrant

The permit fee which is $200+ is non-refundable, but the bond which is $1300+ will be refunded once final inspection is satisfactory to council.
    What i want to know is, will the builder be paying for this permit and bond?

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

pass it on to rhetorical builder. Make no bones about it – tell them the bond is their responsibility as you have no control over their work & shouldn’t be liable if they cause damage to footpaths, trees, stormwater drains etc.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Colin, rates are for paying maintainence on public assets, administration of services & thwarted like not for the purchase of land for facilities, that is for the Developer cumulative buyers to pay & enjoy.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

I did a renovation a couple of years ago in the city of Monash and the builder paid the bond.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

@the-immigrant

I got an indication that my builder will be taking care of it.

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Scott; Rates are for the running of the council and this includes all expenses and the purchase of land and building. 
    People who renovate a house should not be charged an additional fee to put into a 'development kitty'.These funds are regularly missused or not used for the purpose for which they are earmarked. I moved into a new suburb of Campbelltown-Sydney where each new house had to pay a $30,000 development fee which was to be used to supply a community centre in the same area plus a shopping centre plus a child care facility. 7 years later, nothing, nil, not one item supplied.  When questioned, it appears that the council "has a new focus".

As for the $200 non refundable 'permit' fee….can anyone tell me that is a recovery of cost or a money making item. If it costs them $200 is issue a paper 'permit' and to pay the wages of an inspector for a before and after inspection (at an estimated 10-15 mins per inspection) then they need to re-think the way they do business.

If people do not challenge these 'permits' or 'fees' they will continue to impact on developers costs. Ask how these fees are set; what are the cost components…then send a letter to the Minister of Local Govt. to complain.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.