All Topics / Help Needed! / how to subdivide

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of codescodes
    Participant
    @codes

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time writer..

I was wondering if i could get some advice from some of you savvy investors in the know on subdivisions?

I have found a property that i know through souces will be available for sale in the coming weeks. it is a small two bed one bathroomhouse close to town, community centre,schools, ect.. The house is not much to look at but it is on a corner block on aproximately 800 square meters. i was thinking if i can subdivide the back yard from the house and sell it off and using the profit to bring the house into positive cash flow as either a rental or sell using vendor finance.

Back to the point, i wanted to get some information on where to start before a aquire the property?

* How do i find out if it can be subdivided before i aquire the property?
    * How do i find out if a residence can be built on the land before i aquire the property?
    * What is the best path to go down with the application of the subdivision once the property has been aquired? (directly with the coucil or representation in the way of a civil engineer, draftsman etc?)

Any input would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

codes

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    codes wrote:
    ………The house is not much to look at but it is on a corner block on approximately 800 square meters. i was thinking if i can subdivide the back yard from the house and sell it off and using the profit to bring the house into positive cash flow as either a rental or sell using vendor finance.
    Back to the point, i wanted to get some information on where to start before a acquire the property?
    * How do i find out if it can be subdivided before i acquire the property?
    * How do i find out if a residence can be built on the land before i acquire the property?
    * What is the best path to go down with the application of the subdivision once the property has been acquired? (directly with the council or representation in the way of a civil engineer, draftsman etc?) Any input would be much appreciated and thank you for your time. codes

Here is a quick answer to your questions)

Q1 How do i find out if it can be subdivided before i acquire the property?
    A1 – Call the council and speak to a town planner – ask the question

Q2  How do i find out if a residence can be built on the land before i acquire the property?
    A2 – Needs to be put in the contract as a special condition and you would negotiate this with the current owner

Q3 What is the best path to go down with the application of the subdivision once the property has been acquired?
    A3 You will require a Surveyor, possibly a Town Planner and maybe even a draftsman / home designer

Also you need to check on position of services, Ie Sewer, water and power , minimum lot size any covenants etc

It' s hard to give a definitive answer as it depends on your State and even which Council its in

This should get you started in the right direction

Cheers

Profile photo of oscaroscar
    @oscar

Don't forget to call the relevant water authority to determine if there are any flood overlays.

Oscar

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Codes,

My first piece of advice for people who come to me looking to subdivide is always talk to a town planner. This may be a council one or private company. Personally I’d steer towards the private town planners but everyone’s got different opinions!

Secondly call a surveyor and they can talk you through the process, show you all the necessary checklists and things that need to be undertaken on the survey side of things. From here the proposed subdivision can be processed and once you’ve got your necessary permits you can start building.

If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email.

Cheers,
    Ashley Stacey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.