All Topics / Value Adding / Rendering Clinker Brick for Value Add?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of RazzaberriRazzaberri
    @razzaberri

We own a 4×2 in Perth renting at $450 wk and have it on the market. We had some initial interest but none in the last couple of weeks. The Perth market is pretty stagnant atm. It’s exterior is the old mission brown clinker with the kitchen /dining featuring the same brick. It looks very dated but the house is otherwise in good condition ( bathrooms wil need updating). We are thinking of moving back into it and doing some renos to it hoping it will attract some buyers. Just want some advice or opinions on removing the clinker and either bagging or rendering as our neighbours have rendered and they look much better. Do you think this will increase the property value, as well as if we plaster over the clinker inside the house?
    Any thoughts appreciated….

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Is clinker those fake bricks on a sheet?
    If so remove it and re-gyprock the wall. Much better result. Not difficult.

Are they on the outside as well? Rendering looks great. Not sure about over the bricks. I'd get someone out to ask about feasability.

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

The short answer is yes.

Profile photo of RazzaberriRazzaberri
    @razzaberri

Unfortunately the clinker is real bricks but every few bricks they put in a feature brick that is broken and sticks out from the wall. We would have to get these bricks jack hammered off or chiseled so it can be rendered over. The entire exterior is clinker brick. Here is an example of it I found to show
    http://eastmoreland.info/?p=22

It really detracts from the whole house and being in a very family suburbia area and given the times it seems people don’t want to have to do something up unless they are looking for an IP. I just wonder if it would really increase the value, or if there is a rule of thumb say; if you spent 5% of property value on renovations should you expect ? % of value to increase. I guess it’s a bit like how long is a piece of string.

@razzaberri
    Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Why render, why not spray paint? The cost will be less than 25% of rendering.

@razzaberri

People have commented negatively to our agent about the clinker, it’s the ugliest brick ever and not to mention a health hazard for children! In some places inside the house the bricks are child height and sharp on edges and running into one isn’t good!
    If we don’t get a reasonable offer in the next few weeks then we will probably have to take it off the market and look at modernizing a little. The spray paint would look alright but won’t hide the fact it’s clinker.
    My husband now says if we render then we have to paint gutters and down pipes and spray the roof to match it all up. It’s starting to sound like an expensive exercise!
    I have heard bagging is almost half the price of rendering so maybe that option might go ok as well.
    Thanks for the idea, its worth considering!

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Personally, I love clinker brick, so I may be biased.

Re-finishing the walls – one way or another – is expensive so perhaps you could consider a different approach?

You could freshen up the the windows, doors and trim work with a well selected paint colour and perhaps even install a new entry door. Perhaps some landscaping would change the appearance?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I hate bagging. It always looks like a poor mans render. It looks exactly like it is. Concrete rubbed over bricks.
    Also the effect won't be good if you chip off the clinkers. You'll see the rough edges.

I think it's render or nothing.
     It's not that expensive for the effect it gives. Our was red brick (which is a definite turn off when selling. Looks amazing now. We've replaced the windows over the years and retiled the verandah. Looks like a new house.

@razzaberri

I agree on the bagging and after chiseling away the clinker you really would need to fill in the lumps and bumps. We are sure that we are going to render now. As for the inside of the house we are considering knocking down a wall and redoing the kitchen or just doing away with the clinker and seeing if that is enough. After reading in the money mag about the expectation for the Perth and Brisbane properties (which we own a home in each city) to do the best over the next few years do we hold onto it a bit longer and do bits and pieces and sell once the markets do pick up. Ah so many questions, I guess sometimes you just need to take a little leap of faith!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.