All Topics / Help Needed! / How to best structure a JV development

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of BrisboyBrisboy
    Participant
    @brisboy

Hey all,

I am considering embarking in a JV project. But I am not sure on the way it would need to be structured. For example, If say I was to purchase the block, then after knocking the house down, my JV partner was then to fund the build of two new houses on the block.

I assume in this example, the bank would not lend the JV partner money to build the houses when only I am the owner of the land?

Is there a way around this? Such as a business or trust? Other than the easy answer which is have the JV partner build with cash, which is unfortunately not possible in our instance.

Thanks for any help,

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Nope hate to say doesnt matter structure you use a finacier will only lend to the entity that owns the Title and no one else unless of course the other party has separate assets they are prepared to put up as security.

If you buy the land your JV partner cannot take out a construction loan on the property to fund in his / her / their name.

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Purchase in a company. It will limit liability and provide flexibility.

Talk to your accountant if this company should be acting as trustee for a trust or the shares owned by a discretionary or a unit trust.

you need to consider:
    flexibility
    asset protection
    stamp duty
    land tax
    finance

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of BrisboyBrisboy
    Participant
    @brisboy

Thanks for your replies Richard and Terryw.

Have made an appointment with an accountant for Monday, will will discuss these options with him then,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.