All Topics / Finance / Using mortgage broker vs. applying directly to the bank ?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of MrMotivationsMrMotivations
    Participant
    @twothings

Looks like I will make that appointment! thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    imagine the trail after 5 years. 15 years…….

That's if they continue to pay us commissions :(

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

If you are a very busy person, and not prepared to do any research, a good (empahisis on good) broker can definately be a good idea – and it does/should cost you nothing. That said, a broker is simply an intermediary, and unless in the minority that has a special relationship with someone at a major bank, usually via a dedicated Broker manager or business banker, is quite simply put, another link in the chain. To put things in perspective, the two main arguments 'pro broker' are:-
    1 – Bank staff will not recommend any product other than their own.
       … Sheesh, what would you think if your CBA guy suggested you get a NAB loan – unless of course they were being very helpful 'off the record' if the CBA had declined your loan.  May I also point out, a broker will never recommend a loan via a provider that does not pay commission, and very frequently the lower paying commission lenders are only recommended as a 'last resort'. AND on that point would a broker continually provide advice & recommendations for no commission, or rebate all their commission as part of their service? Of course not; and why should they. Bank staff, all lenders, and mortgage brokers have to eat.

2- Brokers have access to 'over 10 banks & 50+lenders'……
      ….mmmm how many can you name of each?   Yeah, I thought so. Post GFC these days are well & truly over. Stick to a good major, which is what most good brokers generally recommend anyway as statistics form the MFAA confirm.

And as for the perceived problem of shopping around yourself can result in numerous credit checks being done, I thoroughly dispute this. True, if you sign a home loan application at every bank & lender you go to….yeah, it can & will happen. However, time and time again I see CRA's that show four or five enquiries that customers claim to know nothing about….'but I never went to those banks"….., that a bit of careful questioning reveals were all done via the broker they 'saw recently'. Very frequent occurrence once they sign the all encompassing paperwork the broker has asked them to for blanket consent.

Just adding a bit of balance……without taking anything away from experienced brokers regularly posting here. All the best with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Profile photo of MrDarcyMrDarcy
    @mrdarcy

I know your decision is made and looks like its a good choice..

One thing id like to add is its a two way street..

I have a great relationship with my broker and without him I wouldnt have got a start when I did.. (and wouldnt be where I am now!)

The big banks all said no, I was 19, and I had no idea of the possibilities.. I had no experience, no one to get info from etc..

He made it happen!

I now know what is avail as i am interested, keen, passionate about property etc but I still prefer to have someone to help crunch numbers and keep an eye on all things avail to me as a client, and it opens up additional channels of networking as well.

I dont and wont pretend to know everything and a broker as a resourse is priceless (if its a good one)

A bank wont ring me and tell me that someone are offering me 1% off standard variable over 700K and paying fees and that I should switch this loan and that but keep the fixed ones here and an LOC there etc etc etc

Also a mate tried to get an offset on his IP and spent a whole day visiting banks as he didnt want to use a broker and still didnt get what he wanted..

Thats his choice but I know I can reno, inspect property, play golf, go to the beach in the same amount of time.. Its time that Id rather use elsewhere..

I now know whats required for each purchase, I can crunch my own numbers and just sort out the paperwork when its ready..

Whatever works I guess!

Cheers

~ Good point Jamie!

Profile photo of Henry AdamsHenry Adams
    @henry-adams
    Jamie M wrote:
    ksherwell wrote:
    I recommend having a shop around.  

Be careful with this though. What most people don’t realise is that “shopping around” can result in multiple hits to their credit file if each lender is submitting an app. A few hits in a short period of time will start to make lenders nervous.

Cheers

Jamie

Why is this So ?

few hits meaning that the borrower is serious in looking for a better deal right ?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

or desparate

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

More hits = desparate ( as Terry mentioned )

MOST ppl once they get their first approval- they normally go with that.

Normally 2 outcomes with active credit file
    1. You got rejected by the another banks (something to hide? something we don’t know?)
    2. You may have gotten accepted but is shopping around on your own accord – so why waste our time on your file …if your not serious or not certain.

The big 4 banks has a credit scoring system, if your file is to active the system will AUTO reject you.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Gotta love credit scoring :)

Best advice is to simply deal with the one broker/banker that you're comfortable with – and ideally it should only result in one application being submitted.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

I agree to deal with only one banker.

I used to refer people to multiple bankers as they desired the best rate. But it only makes thing difficult.
    Now I refer customers to one bank and one bank only

Profile photo of cathnnivcathnniv
    Participant
    @cathnniv

how difficult is it to do everything needed with a broker out of town?
    No good brokers in my town and i prefer to use a broker.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

In any industry this day and age- the internet has became a dominate part of doing business- even my Local milk bar store has a online purchase system now 0.o

It’s simple as a Phone call/skype/facetime an a few emails an your done.

Phone call to understand your requirements
    Email to collect your payslips, and bank statement etc…

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Henry AdamsHenry Adams
    @henry-adams
    Shape wrote:
    More hits = desparate ( as Terry mentioned )

MOST ppl once they get their first approval- they normally go with that.

Normally 2 outcomes with active credit file
    1. You got rejected by the another banks (something to hide? something we don’t know?)
    2. You may have gotten accepted but is shopping around on your own accord – so why waste our time on your file …if your not serious or not certain.

The big 4 banks has a credit scoring system, if your file is to active the system will AUTO reject you.

Regards
    Michael

Thanks for the suggestion and explanation mate,
    :-/ Hopefully I still can get a pre-approved loan from any of the two mortgage brokers that I’ve just registered with.
    since in the last few weeks I almost got into trap with one of the most convincing spruikers from Bundall Queensland.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    cathnniv wrote:
    how difficult is it to do everything needed with a broker out of town? No good brokers in my town and i prefer to use a broker.

It's not difficult – the majority of my clients are interstate.

As Mick said – phone and email is all you need.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jamie is an excellent Broker and does a lot of deals via email and fax.

Why not drop him a line and get him to assist you.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.