All Topics / Creative Investing / Rent To Buy in WA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Posting this for general information of people involved in rent to buy in WA.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/10003776/warning-over-misleading-homebuyers-scheme/

Clearly not all rent to buyers are like these examples but ……………. bad eggs can spoil for all.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Derek

Thanks for the link, very interesting.  I have been predicting for awhile that Lease/Options will eventually be regulated by the new National Credit Code (NCC).  Vendor Finance (VF) instalment contracts and mortgages are credit contracts and are regulated.

I like the professionalism that's been brought to the VF industry with the introduction of the Australian Credit Licence and its regulation of instalment contracts and VF mortgages.  The extension of that regulation to Lease/Options, to me, seems inevitable.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately there will be some people who abuse or mismanage th erent to buy concept. Then there are those who probably really don't understand what they are getting into either as end of line person or even as the middle of  the road person. In many ways the wheels would have fallen off at some stage,

To be honest I am a bit surprised rent to buy isn't already covered in NCC. Seems somewhat of an anomally really especially when 'day lenders' (certainly in WA) are regulated.

But I guess the time will come when regulation rears its head.

Profile photo of abcd1abcd1
    Participant
    @abcd1

Isn’t this the strategy that is currently taught by Rick Otton?

sounds the same to me food for thought…

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Its not the stratagy that is at fault, its the way the material or the lack of it was presented to the end buyer.

You will note that the story refered to one particular operator and to "some parts of this tenancy agreement are [that 'may' be] illegal". The alledged wrong doing was 'misleading and decpective conduct' (see s52 of the Trade Practice Act).

Drawing a conclusion that VF and Ren to Buy schemes are 'illegal' is wrong.

You should also note that Rick Otton uses 'sweat equity' as the end buyers deposit AND that he gets the end buyer to be pre-qualified so that the 'usual' banks can offer the normal terms on a normal loan. 

Profile photo of abcd1abcd1
    Participant
    @abcd1

I have the rent to buy options massive pack the story is exactly how ricks says to set it up

I never said vendor finance was a problem although you do need a license now.

This part is worrying the seller was selling homes without a real estate license is the main reason he is in hot water he should just get one it cost few hundred bucks.

sounds like the scheme is more of a headache then it’s worth.

Paint it how you want the fact is they are cracking down on RTB schemes like they went after shady VF operators.

I think the way it’s presented to the user in the first place buyer of massive pack is misleading and over priced for a intention to lease and option contract I don’t want to know the speakers life story I just want to know the strategy, and how to implement the strategy.
    and maybe a mentor for the first deal.

However the strategy would probably take an 1 hour to explain I don’t think anyone should be paid $6000 an hour and no one would buy the conference tickets.

if the spruiker was worth his salt why charge $6000+ for it would it not be better to

take students to deals and get his money from that instead of spruiking some RTB scheme that is borderline legal

how many more deals do you think they could do if the conference was free and deals were ready to go with the spruikers profit built in? of course it will never happen becuase doers do and those who can’t do teach.

I bet mr otton makes the majority of his money selling conference not doing deals.

Most people selling strategies sell them because they have exhausted the use for themselves

The line I do it because I like helping people just doesn’t cut it with a few thousand dollar price tag….

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Another 'rent to buy' story out of WA.

http://tinyurl.com/3sepb75

Profile photo of razzhmrazzhm
    @razzhm

Hi there
    it is such a shame, but as you say there are always bad eggs out there in any system. I am myslef, and know alot of decent people running rent to buy business in the Vic areas and the schemes not only help out the vendors who cant move their property on the traditional way e.g due to negative equity, but also help out people who want to own a home, can fully afford the mortgage but struggle to save the 20% deposit the banks require whilst living and paying rent.even on a $350,000 dollar home that means trying to save around $70k plus stamps etc….hard on even a really decent wage!
    So it is certainly a scheme that can benefit all involved if it is run in the proper manner.
    but there are always dodgy charecters everywhere i guess!

Profile photo of sumnerstephensumnerstephen
    Participant
    @sumnerstephen

It infuriates me to read articles like this. Unfortunately, armed with a few VF strategies and a PTY LTD company, it seems any idiot can get out there and mislead people & do some serious damage for the industry.
    The value of good education is paramount in this case. I good teacher/mentor/coach would never have allowed a student to practice in this manner. Or at least would not have had any association with them. I just can't believe these guys got that far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.