All Topics / General Property / TOO SCARED TO SPEND

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

Hi guys/gals

As a small business owner, I have noticed a huge drop in work in what is normally my seasonally busy time.
    I put this down to the average Australian being scared of what the future holds. Shopping centres are very quite as well. I wonder now this is going to impact on property investment?  I wonder if other small business owners are experiencing a similar downturn?

kind regards
    George Smit

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

Your not the only one, my brother just closed his small business of 9 years.

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

Hi Paullie,
    Sorry and saddened to hear that

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

He is a skilled software engineer, so its ok for him, hes moved onto a job paying 120k base, potentially he can earn a lot more.

Hes happier as well.

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

Won’t affect property I don’t think. Plus if people keep worrying about the future when is anyone going to try and make money?
    I find it interesting that a lot of people worry bout money. And worry about long term. Has anyone done there research and no that some of the richest expanded there wealth by 19% more during the GFC?

Profile photo of Nemo30Nemo30
    @nemo30

My dad and his partner own a small Mitre10 store, they've noticed a real slowdown in the last 12- 18 months, however have picked up a bit in the last 2 months (possibly related to publicity from 'The Block').   They are keeping their head above water at the moment, but spending is definitely down. 

I've noticed a lot of empty shops at our local shopping mall as well.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Start spending your money people, it will help alround.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Tis an interesting observation.

A number of local businesses have made the same observation. Interestingly enough there have been a few articles surrounding this topic in recent national papers. One article which caught my attention was this one http://tinyurl.com/3q7yz86 from 'The Age'

Profile photo of elea123elea123
    @elea123

Sorry to hear that but you know you’re not the only one. Just don’t give up.

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi George, Your not the only one out there who is experiencing this. My wife and I own a Tattslotto shop in Melbourne.We do a range of different things:·         Dry Cleaning – Has slowed down·         Cards – Been very busy·         Tattslotto – Busy·         Gifts and toys – Up and down like a yo yo·         Jewelry – Very slow
    Its so mixed I know the government blames the “ net” but I do sales and marketing for a freight forwarder and we do work for companies who own online retail business and there very quiet too. A lot of people simply don’t have the money to spend.  Im only 27 but one thing is to always look at the positive. There are people out there who don’t even get to eat or  Live. So at least where above water and in a recession there are always great opportunities to increase wealth.  Good luck and if you ever need anything please feel free to email me

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of EthenGroomEthenGroom
    @ethengroom

Hi

You are not the only one, my friend also closed shop last month. It’s a tough time. Just do your best.

Profile photo of st81hp79st81hp79
    @st81hp79

Hi George,
    I find it interesting though,there are 2 types of people. The ones that are still spending don’t care or are unaware of the economy. Where as the others are afraid of where the future will be heading and is cautious on their spendings.
    We own a mixed business, liquor and grocery. Our grocery has dropped in sales.
    But, our liquor department sale has been stabilised, even with the CPI increase we just had.
    I was brought up in a family where we all had to be in business. I have found that our family member who owns a business in the more prestigious area is more affected.

We have just finished with a minor renovation in the grocery department, hopefully it can pick up.

In regards to property investing, I have to agree with JPCCM. My brother purchase another IP 3 wks ago, my parents a week ago and I am still house hunting for bargains!
    Good luck with it all!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.