All Topics / Opinionated! / Rant about realestate.com.au, commercialrealestate.com.au etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of chriscarmanchriscarman
    Participant
    @chriscarman

Hello out there

Correct me if I am wrong but there appears to be only two significant residential realestate websites out there, realestate.com.au and domain.com.au.

After searching today i found out that there is also apparently only two significant commercial real estate websites out there, commercialrealestate.com.au and realcommercial.com.au

How is it possible for ALL those websites to be so bad?

Try any search and they will stuff it up, any search at all and it will be borked!

For example on the two residential sites I was looking today for houses with more than 5 bedrooms, more than 2 bathrooms, in innercity Brisbane, with the results sorted by price, lowest to highest.
    That doesnt seem like such a hard task but why do i get 3 br houses, 3 br units, houses in kallangur, houses for 1 million before houses for $860k etc?

Surely such a simple search criteria could be met? I have nearly come to the opinion that it doesnt matter WHAT you choose as your search criteria as any of the paid adverts or priority listings will get into your search whether they are relevant or not!

And why are the search criteria so limited? If i want to look for 2 lot blocks, or 7 bathrooms specifically, why arent these available as options?

Lets not even mention viewing the pictures on realestate.com.au, something is completely borked there and I have to click like a Korean Stacraft Pro-Gamer to get to view the pictures…

And then today, my first look into Commercial property.

Links that dont work, pages that dont load, clunky search graphics, pages that resized twice after load…. and then the same old problems…

Since this is a new area for me in terms of investing I wanted to have a general look around so i choose some search criteria at random, I was searching for commercial property for less than $600k and in Brisbane.

Well i am not sure how property for 2.6mil fits into $600k works but if they want to sell it to me for that, I will take it… and why after choosing "industrial units" does my search show every thing from retail to office space? Why also did it show me businesses for sale?

As I said for the residential sites, what was the point of even offering a search field if you cant get your site to answer to it?

There is room for a LOT of improvement from the owners of those sites

/end rant hehe

Profile photo of Prattman77Prattman77
    @prattman77

People in ACT use allhomes.com.  It's great and seems to have none of the problems you mention.  It's boast is that 99-100% of new home buyers look at the site in Canberra.

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Yes, I agree with much of what you said… though one thing that really bugs me is when your sorting through hundreds of different property's and they all say lines such as…

"WOW, Great Investment Oportunity !" or "GREAT RETURNS" or "INVESTORS ONLY!"  though most of the time they don't say how much they rent out for

And likewise a lot of property that lists there income says "POA"

Profile photo of chriscarmanchriscarman
    Participant
    @chriscarman

One of the best sites i have seen is the New Zealand site, Trade Me

They have an awesome search engine, its easy to use, uncluttered, easy on the eye etc
    We should ask Trade Me to open in Australia :P

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Prattman77 wrote:
    People in ACT use allhomes.com.  It's great and seems to have none of the problems you mention.  It's boast is that 99-100% of new home buyers look at the site in Canberra.

The owners of this site have certainly done well. I doubt most Canberran's have ever used domain or realestate.com.

Allhomes is our only source of advertising for our private rentals and they generally get snapped up pretty quick.

Allhomes have also branched out to Tasmania as well for those interesting in Tassie.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of chriscarmanchriscarman
    Participant
    @chriscarman

I just had a look at that Allhomes site and while its better than the others I quoted in my original post, it still does exactly the same thing that my original rant mentioned…
    i.e. list houses by price… how does a 79000 house come before a 48000 house? when i choose "house" only why do i get units and relocatable homes? when i choose "house only", why do i get vacant blocks of land etc?

grrr

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Some property's have a box around them and they can show up randomly anywhere,  Im guessing that there is an option to pay extra to advertise them so that this happens..  This is purely speculation though..

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    chriscarman wrote:
    I just had a look at that Allhomes site and while its better than the others I quoted in my original post, it still does exactly the same thing that my original rant mentioned…
    i.e. list houses by price… how does a 79000 house come before a 48000 house? when i choose "house" only why do i get units and relocatable homes? when i choose "house only", why do i get vacant blocks of land etc?

grrr

Quite possibly the poster thought they were being creative when they would put their block of dirt under the house listing or whereever just in case someone might see it (ignoring the fact that it would p!55 people off).

Profile photo of MickMick
    Participant
    @motelmingle

Although it is a very new site, sellnoagents.com.au is a site offering advertising for owners to sell both their real estate and businesses. It's a nice looking site and will be a great place to pick up some bargains when it gets going.

No cost to the advertiser and no commissions on the sale means very good bargaining opportunities……

Mick | Motel Mingle
    http://motelmingle.com.au/
    Email Me

Finding Answers! Sharing Ideas! Solving Problems!

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

I don't mind them, but I don't get why all sites have a search criteria of 'more than' for everything other than price. If I want to look for 2 bedroom apartments, I want to look for 2 bedroom apartments, not 2+ bedrooms. Just seems like a strange criteria they all enforce.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

The reason for the problem is because the site is “self” manged, meaning the agent that posts the details up ticks the box about the property ie ” how many bedroom, property type, price range” some agent purposely place the property in the wrong “place” and i guess most does it by accident…..

When my agent listed my property for rent it didn’t show up because my “house” was listed as a “unit” + he inputted the wrong price range for the search field even though the add had it listed correctly.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I agree that it’s quite frustrating to have a duopoly of real estate websites in Australia! I also checked out other Aussie real estate websites and some of them look like they’re from the 1990s (or earlier!).

Profile photo of ackleyactonsackleyactons
    Participant
    @ackleyactons

I do not mind, but I do not understand why all the sites search criteria more than the price of everything else. If I want to see a two-bedroom apartment, I want to see two-bedroom apartment, instead of 2 + bedrooms. Just looks like a strange standard, they are performing.

Profile photo of MargpropertiesMargproperties
    @margproperties

All the time I would like to go with http://commercial.realtor.com/ as it was suggested by my friend who solve all his needs with this site.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    Yes, I agree with much of what you said… though one thing that really bugs me is when your sorting through hundreds of different property's and they all say lines such as…

"WOW, Great Investment Oportunity !" or "GREAT RETURNS" or "INVESTORS ONLY!"  though most of the time they don't say how much they rent out for

And likewise a lot of property that lists there income says "POA"

Those issues are agent input issues rather than website issues.

A key ingredient for real estate marketing is to start the conversation and there is a perception that ads (as per your example) will start more conversations than an ad that gives away all of the information required by investors to make a decision without the need to start a conversation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.