All Topics / Value Adding / Renovating in outer suburbs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MrsCMrsC
    @mrsc

Hi,
    Anyone out there done well out of cosmetic reno's to lower priced property/suburbs? Just wondering since renovating experts in media generally recommend staying up to 15 kms from cbd.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yep, my first IP was in Queanbeyan NSW. We spent 1 month (after work hours) renovating the unit. We spent about $3k on cosmetic renos and it was revalued at $40k more.

Experts will always have opinions – and they will always be different from one expert to the next. Read widely, absorb as much as you can and then decide on the course of action that best suits you.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

If your strategy is buy, reno, sell I think you need to be in the higher cost areas.

eg reno a $400K place with $50K and sell for $600K.

VS buy for $200K with $20K reno and sell for  $280.  Just fudging figures but you get my drift.

All my reno's have been on properties under $218K. Reno cost from $6-14K with increased equity from $30K-$65K. Doing most of the work ourselves from 1-4 weeks each. We buy and hold. Even with buy, hold and reno costs we would still make a decent profit if we sold straight away.

Profile photo of MrsCMrsC
    @mrsc

Thanks. Its all coming down to my budget, i can basically afford either a villa/unit in the inner suburb or a house in the outer area.
    Ive read and heard different views on unit vs house but seems that a renovation on a house (done well) gives more scope for upwards value than a unit.

Catalyst were your reno's units or houses?

Profile photo of Heath WorkmanHeath Workman
    Participant
    @heath-workman
    MrsC wrote:

Thanks. Its all coming down to my budget, i can basically afford either a villa/unit in the inner suburb or a house in the outer area.
    Ive read and heard different views on unit vs house but seems that a renovation on a house (done well) gives more scope for upwards value than a unit.

Catalyst were your reno's units or houses?

Agreed, you may be more restricted in your renovating option due to body corporate etc

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Most are houses in Western Sydney. One villa. One unit and villa will get a reno when the tenants move out (new kitchen, paint, update bathroom only).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.