All Topics / Help Needed! / QLD mining regions (Bowen & Surat Basins & Gladstone): Willing to help anyone with questions

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 481 total)
  • Profile photo of ssimpson2003ssimpson2003
    @ssimpson2003
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    Hi Stu,

heres our suburb snapshot of Emerald, although it will be updated shortly. Also read my blog as it will have a lot on the Bowen Basin over the next 2 weeks especially. http://www.portfoliopi.com.au/SUBURB%20PROFILE%20EMERALD.pdf

Development Register:
    The latest Central Highlands Development Register was released in July. It shows some key figures of investment into this booming Central QLD region including:
    • $84.7 million investment for community infrastructure
    • $45.5 million in retail shop developments including newly announced Harvey Norman
    • $5.8 billion of corporate capital investment into mining ventures around the Emerald township.
    • 3,100 direct new jobs in the above projects
    • $16 billion of new projects planned for Alpha (150km West of Emerald). Emerald is planned as the “hub” for these mines according to the Environmental impact statements released.
    • 10,680 proposed new jobs for the operation workforce of the above projects in Alpha where, according to the EIS’s, 15% of the direct workforce will reside in Emerald. This figure is expected to grow as housing becomes available.

Housing in Emerald is accommodating local people who work and reside in the area, not fly in fly out. They will DIDO and BIBO to the mines for their entire shift week or just the day depending on which place they work. The motels etc accommodates a large number of FIFO workers also, however, mainly contractors.

Put bluntly, all trends are showing increasing signs of people, wages, job vacancies, houses, rental prices and capital values.

Doe this help?

cheers,

Absolutely, thanks a million Josh, this gives me a great stating point in my DD.  I look foward to exploring this further and will no doubt be back with more questions. :) cheers

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi again Josh

After doing more of my daily due dilgence I had decided to wipe Capella off my list of places to buy due to the risk factor.  Thanks for your input :-)

Wth our next purchase, we are looking to hold for 2 years initially – but who knows, I have said that before and have sold earlier due to the GFC when I did a bit of panic selling.  Which I now wish I hadnt done !!

I have learnt to keep a very close eye on the market.  It can change so quickly !!  So, I guess holding times are flexible.  I would consider selling once the supply looks like out doing the demand.  There are new land releases due for approval in places like Blackwater and Dysart.  It will take a few years for houses to be built in these new estate.  So is nice to enjoy high yields while the demand for housing is there.  But once the new stuff is close to being put on the market, it would be the time to look at selling.

Timing can be everything in the smaller mining towns.  

I have been investing with a partner so need to sell any ideas to her.  We bought our first  house together in Dysart 10 months ago for a good price and estimate that we have made $100,000 in capital Growth.  We did do a small reno on the house which we agreed to do to get a good Company lease in place..

We want to borrow against this to purchase our next property.

Im liking Emerald and Blackwater.  We have finance approval but have to agree on something :-) 

I am going to flick thru to her the above info on emerald.

thanks again :-) 

Profile photo of camnlisacamnlisa
    Participant
    @camnlisa
    shoooshoo wrote:
    hi lisa, thanks for your replying to me in the post, do you know what is happening in the blackwater area? considering buying there also.

Hi Shoooshoo, I don't know much about Blackwater at all, my main concern would be it's proximity to Emerald and the fact that it has always lagged behind Moranbah and Dysart quite significantly.

If I were buying more property in a mining town it would be either Dysart or Moranbah.  Dysart because it is effectively landlocked except for the area that is being released by a local landholder and I honestly don't see him releasing any more.  I know for a fact that BMA are expanding their existing mines (and Saraji has some of the best coal in Australia for steelmaking), that the Thiess-run Lake Vermont Mine is expanding and that there is a new mine (Saraji East or New Saraji) that should be up and running in the next couple of years.  Also, there are very lengthy waiting lists for current BMA employees waiting for a Company house.  The majority of new employees with families either relocate their families immediately to private rentals until a Company house is available or stay at the camp and relocate their family once they get their house.  The majority of families prefer not to do the DIDO thing and relocate here and many of those who try at first end up relocating to Dysart and keeping the family together.

Moranbah – does not have a huge amount of land left to develop and the sheer number of mines that are already operating and earmarked for the area over the next few years, along with a high number of owner/occupiers will guarantee a very strong housing market as long as there is a demand for coal ….. also Macca's is opening there and I wouldn't be suprised to see some other big name brands like Harvey Norman head that way too.

Cheers

Lisa

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Josh,

I’d like to hear your thoughts, and anyone else with experience for that matter, on the current new estates situated on the southern side of Emerald?

I think I’d speak for many investors interested in purchasing newly built properties in Emerald, that a major concern is the not only the quality of the builder and the end product but the actual estate they are situated in. Other concerns I'd imagine would be available supporting infrastructure and proximity to the town centre.  

Also, with many potential purchasers being interstate investors…what would you suggest is the best way for people to mitigate against potential problems during a build?

Jack

Profile photo of shoooshooshoooshoo
    @shoooshoo

thanks Lisa for the feeback appreciate it.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton
    JT7 wrote:

Hi Josh,

I’d like to hear your thoughts, and anyone else with experience for that matter, on the current new estates situated on the southern side of Emerald?

I think I’d speak for many investors interested in purchasing newly built properties in Emerald, that a major concern is the not only the quality of the builder and the end product but the actual estate they are situated in. Other concerns I'd imagine would be available supporting infrastructure and proximity to the town centre.  

Also, with many potential purchasers being interstate investors…what would you suggest is the best way for people to mitigate against potential problems during a build?

Jack

Hi Jack,

Heres my thoughts and experience on the estates on the southern side of Emerald. I have developed, held, and sold in just about all of them over the last few years. The vines estate is the most in demand estate on that side of town. It has majority owner occupiers, large houses with great street appeal. This does however mean that prices are very high in the estate. It is a number of years old now so there is no land available. this estate joins “selma rise” developed by council over a number of years, again, all sold and built but great street appeal and a high percentage of owner occupiers. The catholic high school is in this estate. Across the road from this estate is another council development that they did over the last 18 months. This was a good estate, now all sold and built out as of the start of this year. There weren’t really any bad builders in this estate as all the land was sold at auction which means that it didnt really suit the builders who try to secure as many as they can to build 10-20 of the same home.

Continuing down rifle range road is the riverview estate. It has around the 85% investors as the development was taken over in some form by the banks in its early days. Somehow a very large project marketing firm got involved and they mirror reversed a couple of designs over approximately 70 blocks. This has unfortunately reduced the appeal of the estate on a local level. However a number of local builders have started to build in the estate this year and street appeal seems to be improving. Further to the very end of rifle range road is Pilot farm road. There is a new estate going here (they have just scratched the surface) and there is a marketing firm advertising a number of properties there. However talking to the local agent who is pre-selling all the stages assures me that there is only one marketing agency/builder that is allowed in the estate. I am not aware if the designs are all the same or not, and do not know who the builder is. The other allotments are allocated for people buying up to 3/4 lots only i am told. This estate is the furtherest out of town that development has been. There is no infrastructure in way of shops etc out this way. it is 6.5km to the centre of Emerald. A new light industrial site is starting on the corner of Pilot farm road and gregory highway.

Off Gregory highway is the Mayfair ridge estate. there is well over 200 lots now developed and sold. They are continuing development further to the south in the coming years. Being 4km from the centre of town, they saw it prudent (as well as a good business opportunity) to provide commercial/retail facilities to the front of this master-planned estate. To the front of the estate they have a very large tavern, motel, restaurant, convenience store, hairdresser, chemist, fish and chip shop, and dentist. The estate is also right next to the Emerald Christian college. Unfortunately when they first started the estate, one builder who is now long gone and broke was building panel homes, that is, not brick veneer. As these were not built properly, they experienced a large amount of movement due to the adverse weather condition that regional QLD experiences. This was not the best for the estates name at the time. However many issues have been addressed and the estate is moving forwards with leaps and bounds with two of Emerald most quality builders in there. They have also firmly said no to large marketing firms and or builders securing large amounts of land in their next 300 lots as they wish to maintain and build further the local appeal to the estate by having as many owner occupiers as possible.

I do find it frustrating that many builders and or developers/marketing companies find it ok to build sub-standard homes just because they sell to investors. An investment property should not lack in any of the quality that an owner occupier home does in the majority of cases. To provide or even think otherwise is quite unethical I believe. By doing so brings the prices of surrounding houses in the area down which is very disappointing. I have had this happen to me and was not impressed. I built in a new area where it was unknown of the end use for the majority of properties and the standard/quality of the builders. This impacted my end sale price. I also look for areas first where there are established part of the estate so you can understand where the developer is heading. This is not always possible in areas like Emerald or say Gladstone where land is selling before machines have even driven on the site!

In order to mitigate the risks especially if you are an interstate investor there are 3 things to do in believe:
    1. Conduct your due-diligence on the estate and what local agents think of it. When buying through an investment firm, get them to tell you (in an email) what their intentions are with the estate and the intentions with the other houses they are selling. ie: how many different designs are there, what will they do to the façades if designs are the same and near each other? how many lots they have etc. anyone savvy will be able to tell if the person knows what they are talking about. Ask the seller if they own property in the area they are selling, if you are buying through an investment firm, and they are recommending an area, than you would assume that given the persons experience in investing in property that they will have property in the area themselves. Also ask if they have built personally with the builder either in that town or in another area. and if the answer is yes, ask for the address or something?

2. I would be asking the seller if the builder sells property on a local level also. if they don’t, this is alarming as they may not have an interest in ensuring that the properties are of good quality or well thought of. hence they may just be there to build there 20 or so properties and they are on to the next town. If they are a new builder to town, ask where else the builder has had an influence and call agents in that are to see what the local perception is of the properties.

3. Ensure that the firm selling the properties is going to be there for the entire process especially if you are building. A lot of local agents don’t have the knowledge to project manage as such so you essentially get left to deal with the builder or an agent that doesn’t truly understand the building process. This is why investor firms exist, although some provide the same service as local real estate agents, that is, they leave you to deal with the process. they are just there to make the “introduction”. Make sure that the firm inspects the properties on your behalf, and photos supplied from the builder is not sufficient in my books. Ask for photos of the whole street when they are building too. ask the firm selling when was the last time they were in the town and when will they be there next.

When conducting your due-diligence, you may make many calls to local agents builders, investor firms etc. Just understand that no matter the person, ,everyone always has their own agenda. If a local agent doesn’t have stock with a particular builder or in a particular estate than they may be biased against it to sway you to something that they can provide. This is fine, and seems to be a part of the real estate industry, you just need to be aware of the fact and take everything with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusion. This includes the person selling you the property you are looking at also.

I hope I have provided some in depth answers/thoughts here!

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Josh,

Your knowledge and experience is proving invaluable not only to me but I’m sure to any investor considering obtaining a footing in the Central Queensland market.

Thankyou for taking the considerable time and effort to answer my questions. It is very much appreciated.

Jack

Profile photo of katmatkatmat
    @katmat

Jack,
    I don’t know about you but after reading josh’s thread I’d suggest there are still many things you will need to be familiar with when investing in Emerald namely real estate agents, the right estates to deliver capital growth and solid rental return due to their street appeal etc. Josh seems to be the expert in this area. I’d just ring him and potentially even buy a house through him. I just bought one through him and its been the easiest process! He knows what’s remaining and the best estates to invest up there. I recommend. Really nice guy! He even flew down to Melb to meet me once I was ready!
    Katmat

Profile photo of B2 luckB2 luck
    Participant
    @b2-luck

Hi Josh,

Firstly I'd just like to thank you for all the information that you are sharing freely. I'm just loving reading all of your posts.
    At this minute, my husband is at the solicitors office in Emerald, handing over our signed contract on a house that should be completed within 3 months in Emerald. Very exciting times for us as its our first investment property.
    I couldn't agree more with you in regards to Riverview estate, most properties seem to be a carbon copy of one another!! We don't reside in Emerald, though we  were fortunate enough to be able to stay the night in Mayfair Ridge a couple of weeks ago. your description of  Mayfair Estate  is spot on, Houses all seem to be built to a high specification and the street appeal is second to none.
    Emerald is a lovely town with a lot to offer from,  great choice of  schools, to  open spaces and a great town centre.
    Thanks again Josh on the great work your doing and I'll look forward to reading your future posts.

Donna

Profile photo of camjanicecamjanice
    Participant
    @camjanice

Hi, just wondering what the rents would be for a new 4 bedroom house in Emerald?  Say 200 m2, 2 living areas?   Cheers. 

@josh-atherton
    camjanice wrote:
    Hi, just wondering what the rents would be for a new 4 bedroom house in Emerald?  Say 200 m2, 2 living areas?   Cheers. 

Hi,

For a good quality build in a good area you would be looking at $600 – $650 now. Rents are increasing fairly steadily.

Participant
    @camjanice

Mmmmm, perhaps I should have bought in Emerald instead of Mackay.  Will have to wait a few months until Mackay is finished then might look at Emerald again. 

@josh-atherton
    camjanice wrote:
    Mmmmm, perhaps I should have bought in Emerald instead of Mackay.  Will have to wait a few months until Mackay is finished then might look at Emerald again. 

Are you building there? Mackay is a little lower rental yields, mainly due to the land supply over the last few years. Your rent will grow in the short term in Mackay, however I dont see the yields on Capital value increasing too much. Still good capital growth to be had, one of the top places to invest in Australia at the moment!

@josh-atherton
    fingerscrossed wrote:
    Hi again Josh

After doing more of my daily due dilgence I had decided to wipe Capella off my list of places to buy due to the risk factor.  Thanks for your input :-)

Wth our next purchase, we are looking to hold for 2 years initially – but who knows, I have said that before and have sold earlier due to the GFC when I did a bit of panic selling.  Which I now wish I hadnt done !!

I have learnt to keep a very close eye on the market.  It can change so quickly !!  So, I guess holding times are flexible.  I would consider selling once the supply looks like out doing the demand.  There are new land releases due for approval in places like Blackwater and Dysart.  It will take a few years for houses to be built in these new estate.  So is nice to enjoy high yields while the demand for housing is there.  But once the new stuff is close to being put on the market, it would be the time to look at selling.

Timing can be everything in the smaller mining towns.  

I have been investing with a partner so need to sell any ideas to her.  We bought our first  house together in Dysart 10 months ago for a good price and estimate that we have made $100,000 in capital Growth.  We did do a small reno on the house which we agreed to do to get a good Company lease in place..

We want to borrow against this to purchase our next property.

Im liking Emerald and Blackwater.  We have finance approval but have to agree on something :-) 

I am going to flick thru to her the above info on emerald.

thanks again :-) 

Hi,

Its great that you are going the mining regions again! Here is a link to our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portfolio-Property-Investments/145575895515539 . Have a look at the last two articles/video from the Australian today, it is great reporting straight from the ANZ banks study. It shows how the economic fibre is in a way changing due to the mining investment. It really proves to me what I have been saying for some time now, that is, as investors we need to change our perception on what “reality” is in regards to the property market. People where often too shy or scared to invest in regional areas, especially due to what has been experienced with some smaller mining towns in our history. Whilst the risks of your investment being negatively affected are still there when investing in SOME mining towns, it is really important to mitigate them and stick to what are and will be solid areas that are adversely affected by the mining industry. This does however depend on each persons risk strategy, personally, I do like security whilst seeking high return and growth in my properties. I will forego 2% in rent in return for guaranteed longevity and market stability. But that is me.

I hope your due-diligence is going well :)

@josh-atherton
    B2 luck wrote:
      Hi Josh,

Firstly I'd just like to thank you for all the information that you are sharing freely. I'm just loving reading all of your posts.
    At this minute, my husband is at the solicitors office in Emerald, handing over our signed contract on a house that should be completed within 3 months in Emerald. Very exciting times for us as its our first investment property.
    I couldn't agree more with you in regards to Riverview estate, most properties seem to be a carbon copy of one another!! We don't reside in Emerald, though we  were fortunate enough to be able to stay the night in Mayfair Ridge a couple of weeks ago. your description of  Mayfair Estate  is spot on, Houses all seem to be built to a high specification and the street appeal is second to none.
    Emerald is a lovely town with a lot to offer from,  great choice of  schools, to  open spaces and a great town centre.
    Thanks again Josh on the great work your doing and I'll look forward to reading your future posts.

Donna

Hi Donna,

thanks for following it is much appreciated. Thats great news you purchased in Emerald. What did you buy? house, unit etc? You have made great decision! It is unfortunate about the houses in riverview as it really had the potential to be a great estate. The developer released the land at the start of the GFC at approximately 30% above market value, so I believe he went broke and whoever took over just did whatever they could to sell as much as they could. Which meant not caring!

Profile photo of B2 luckB2 luck
    Participant
    @b2-luck

Hi Josh,

We’re buying a house that is being built by a quality builder from Emerald.
    Yes your right about Riverview, nice high and dry area with a lot of nice housing estates close by. We’re just fortunate that we were able to view the area or we too could of been another investor, investing in the Estate.

Cheers Donna

Profile photo of meltermelter
    @melter
    B2 luck wrote:
    We're buying a house that is being built by a quality builder from Emerald. Yes your right about Riverview, nice high and dry area with a lot of nice housing estates close by.

We have been looking to invest again in Emerald for a while now, and are actually now having a second look at the Riverview Estate.  We first looked at the Riverview Estate a couple of years ago and weren't impressed with the duplication (triplication!) of house designs.  However just recently quite a few more of the blocks are being built on, giving greater variety and improving the aesthetics of the estate.   I think as the estate is continually built on it can only improve from a visual viewpoint.  It is a lovely estate in terms of bikeways, family usable park areas etc.  Price-wise, Riverview is still quite affordable, however prices are on the rise.  With the Harvey Norman, Hardware store etc being built further south, I think these south side estates will continue to be popular with families moving to Emerald.  The house we are currently considering is being built now, and has been given a rental appraisal of $650 – $700.  That is with 2 living areas, and a/c to all bedrooms and living areas.  

For those of you worried about flooding, the Queensland Reconstruction Authorities website has a great interactive map, that allows you to enter in an address – it then gives a view of the extent of flooding in that area.  A great resource when doing your due diligence.

Participant
    @camjanice
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    camjanice wrote:

Are you building there? Mackay is a little lower rental yields, mainly due to the land supply over the last few years. Your rent will grow in the short term in Mackay, however I dont see the yields on Capital value increasing too much. Still good capital growth to be had, one of the top places to invest in Australia at the moment!

Yes we are building Josh, should have house on land in northern beaches completed by March next year.  It seems rentals are getting very tight now and rents are going up.  Hopefully the capital growth will be good as you suggest.  Also bought a townhouse in gladstone recently too with great rental yields.   Love QLD at the moment, just might be in landtax territory when we buy another so will have to be careful!  Currently live in Tom Price in the Pilbara at present but hope to move to QLD for our next mining stint.  I have been watching your posts and have found them very informative.  It is great that you are willing to share the information.  Cheers, Janice

@josh-atherton

Hi All,

for those following my regional research here is some information for Mackay on the blog.

http://ppiqldtour.blogspot.com/2011/09/mackay-central-qld.html

Thanks for following!

Profile photo of pinkboypinkboy
    Participant
    @pinkboy
    Portfolio PI wrote:
    Hi All, for those following my regional research here is some information for Mackay on the blog. http://ppiqldtour.blogspot.com/2011/09/mackay-central-qld.html Thanks for following!

I live in Mackay and knew about 80% of all the projects you listed.  Some are a little outdated and some a definate NO GO, but I think you nailed 95% of everything going on in this great town.

It gives me great confidence in my properties here and the current ones Im building at present.

Keep up the good work.

pinkboy

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.