All Topics / General Property / Using Offset account as a Savings Account

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

I was having a think about this the other day and I cannot see any problems myself, so I was hoping maybe with a new set of eyes to see it they could see some flaw in my plan. I have thought of a couple flaws, as I will explain, but no financial ones anyway.

So basically my situation is I have a home loan (PPOR) of about $250k with an offset account.

My idea is basically, would I be able to use this home loan as a savings account for a friend. Now, the interest rate on my home loan is 6.88%, the highest savings account interest rate I have seen is around 6.50% and they have all sorts of limitations, such as minimum deposits per month, limit of transactions, account keeping fee, not always all of these, but generally a couple of them.

So say my friend had $100k in his savings account, would he theoretically be able to put the money into my offset account and give him full flexibility to do whatever he wants with the money, take out whenever he wants, put in however much he wants etc. Obviously the transactions coming out would have to go through me, but the ones going in he could obviously do himself.

I could offer him a 6.50% interest rate (tax free) and make a savings of the 0.38% extra interest rate on my home loan, it might not sound like much but I guess the couple thousands of dollars is better in my hands than in the banks.

Just doing the numbers on a simple spreadsheet I came up with (using the above figures – assuming an after tax of 4.50% for the bank savings interest rate). I came up with a saving of $2700 after just one year.

I guess the main thing is to have a friend that would trust you enough to let you 'borrow' his money and put it into your home loan, but apart from that I do not know if there is anything I am really missing?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

James

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

hi James

Sounds like an idea, but why offer him so much?

I think you should have written loan agreements drawn up. You need to worry about divorce, death and insolvency. eg. Dying – imagine if you died with his money in your account. Bank accounts would be frozen until probate is granted which could be 6 months or so. Now imagine if he died with the money in your account!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

I guess there are a few things to worry about, mostly just unexpected ones so it would be nice to have some sort of agreement in place so there was no confusion abou the unexpected.

Was sort of thinking that instead of just giving him so much, whatever money we saved we would put towards a holiday for something (we are going on a mountain climbing expedition next year) to sort of just give us something for free, or at least pay for it with some money we would not have otherwise have had.

Still sounds like a win win for everyone to me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.