All Topics / Help Needed! / Spotter fees – how can I put myself in front of potential clients?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of csydneycsydney
    Participant
    @csydney

Hi

Today I joined propertyinvesting.com and I am hoping it will assist me. I have started in property and want to build up finances. I am starting at the bottom and working upwards. I would like to build finances with spotter fees. I personally think this is a good way to get started. I need to put myself in front of potential clients. Is there anybody out there who can assist me?. If so I very much look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks. Cameron.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Do you mean to find properties for others and get paid for it?
    Didn't you just say you have (just?) started in property?
    What makes you better at spotting property than others?

To do this legally you need to have a BA certificate.

Please clarify what you mean for more assistance.

Profile photo of csydneycsydney
    Participant
    @csydney

Hi

Thanks for the post. I have limited capital and I have heard one way to build capital is via spotter fees. However I do not know how to go about this. I am not in the position where I can say to mummy and daddy can I have $50K for a deposit on a property. Has anybody got some useful suggestions?. Thanks. Cameron

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As catalyst has mentioned you need to be Licensed to receive a fee for introducing a buyer to a property so first thing i would do is check what requirements are needed in your State. 

From memory (and one of the Buyers Agents on the forum will correct if i am wrong) the idea was to ensure that there was uniform licensing across all States in the next year or so.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of pinkboypinkboy
    Participant
    @pinkboy
    csydney wrote:
    Has anybody got some useful suggestions?

1. Get a job(s).  You will need deposit, plus expenses
    2. Learn the property game (joining here is a good start). Books, internet, possibly seminars dependant on situation are readily available.
    3. 1+2= Get youself into the game by contacting a Mortgage Broker (those that are on here are easy to spot, and are all property investors), along with a reputable accountant and solicitor.
    4.  Buy property.
    5-99.  Repeat #4
    100.  Become a buyers agent (spotter).

pinkboy

Participant
    @csydney

Hmm, thanks for the info.

I have joined the renovating for profit programme and there was never any mention of being licenced to receive a fee for spotter fees???!. I will send them an e-mail and check on this point. I will post the answer on the forum. Although I will not get an answer until the end of monday at the earliet. Cameron.

Participant
    @csydney

I will contact mortgage brokers regarding spotter fees. Becoming a spotter's agent sounds an interesting idea. I will ask renovating for profit about this avenue as well. Thanks for the info guys. Please keep the ideas coming. Cameron.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    csydney wrote:
    Hmm, thanks for the info.

I have joined the renovating for profit programme and there was never any mention of being licenced to receive a fee for spotter fees???!. I will send them an e-mail and check on this point. I will post the answer on the forum. Although I will not get an answer until the end of monday at the earliet. Cameron.

Why would you ask them and not the Department of Fair Trading who administer the licencing of real estate agents?

Firstly, what state are you in? or what state is the property in?

If in NSW then have a look at Fair Trading here, http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Property_agents_and_managers/Other_property_businesses.html

You will notice they say you need a licence if:

Carrying on a business, for reward and:

"(a) taking calls or interest from prospective purchasers and passing them on to the vendor

(b) including your business's telephone or other contact details on advertising signage used by vendors

(c) taking prospective purchasers through the property that is for sale, or accompanying the vendor when this is done

(d) providing the contract for the sale of the property to prospective purchasers or discussing the merits of the property with them

(e) introducing prospective purchasers to the vendor of the property………"

Then you can go and look at the

PROPERTY, STOCK AND BUSINESS AGENTS ACT 2002

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/psabaa2002385/

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Perhaps you can get around it by instead doing a joint venture with someone – where you do the legwork in terms of finding the property, working out what needs to be done to it to fix it up etc etc,  you do some of the cleaning labour and so on, and the other person stumps up the cash.  In return you get a certain percentage of the equity (ie you become a part-owner of the property).  You would still need some cash to do this – you'd still need your legal team and they will not work for free.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I'm with Terry on this one. Birddogging is illegal unless you are are a licenced agent (or licensed buyers agent).

There are plenty of places offering your licence in 4 days for a couple of grand or alternatively you may wish to learn something and do the 4 week course through the real estate institute.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Cameron,

Some investment agencies pay lead fees for recommending them to people they may know. However this is mainly done when someone is already a client of such an agency.

This may help you but it may not

Participant
    @csydney

Hi Guys

Thanks again for the posts. The idea of a joint venture sounds interesting, I do all the legwork of finding the property, working out what needs to be done etc. Another idea which somebody put forward was that some investment agencies pay lead fees for recommending them to people they know. Very useful ideas which I will explore further. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming. The posts will help guide my mind to explore different options and push fowards with ideas. The potential avenues of exploration from the posts on the forum will ultimately give me the answers I am looking for. Thanks again guys. Cameron.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

Hi Cameron,

I recently went to Cherie Barber’s seminar in Perth, and I’m aware she promotes the use of spotters fee to build up cash for investing. She mentions her graduates receive thousands of dollars per fee, and do this by creating a business proposal outlining all the due diligence and research done on a property to a potential buyer and then asking for a fee shoudl they buy.

When she spoke about this, I was concerned by it as I did wonder what buyer would give a fee to a property novice for suggesting a purchase. If they are so time-poor they are happy to pay for the research, why buy a report from an unregistered beginner, rather than pay for the service of a qualified, experienced buyers agent, who will go in and negotiate on their behalf?

Just imagine for a second that you are a wealthy time-poor individual, lets say a doctor, who is looking to invest around $700k. Who would you pay for their assistance, someone who gives them a folder full of figures but owns no property themselves and has a few weeks/months of “experience” or would you go to a buyers agent, often with a professional office, sit down and discuss what you’re looking for and send them out to purchase based on your needs.

Looking forward to seeing Renovate for Profit’s response posted on here. For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed Cherie’s presentation and found all other aspects of the talk very professional, engaging, and worthwhile. This was the only thing that didn’t quite gel with me.

Cheers,
    Emma

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

The spotters fee idea can work if you know what you are doing and know what to look for and what others are looking for.
    Sounds like you are a novice so don't know how this would work for you.

Also sounds like you want a quick fix. I understand it's frustrating when you want to get started. But sometimes you just have to wait. Maybe that's for the better. You can read and learn so maybe when you are ready to buy you'll buy the right property.
    Do you know what path you want to take? I'm assuming renovate and sell/hold? Seeing as you've done that course. Have you looked at other paths? What are your short term and long term goals?

Why not try what millions of others before you (including me) have tried?  Work hard, spend less than you earn, save, get educated while you save, then buy.

Participant
    @csydney

Hi Emma

Thanks for the post. Your post made sense and I have asked renovating for profit for a reply. I have of course removed your name from the e-mail. I am very interested to see what response I get. I hope I have not made a bad financial decision by investing in the programme. I am still going to push ahead with it and to see where it takes me.

Participant
    @csydney

Hi Josh

Thanks for the message. I pick up my posts when I come back from work in the evening. Do you have a personal e-mail address?. You mentioned you might have info which will help me regarding spotter fees. If you do have info which would help me out or point me in the right direction that would be great. I look forward to hearing from you. Cameron.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hey Portfolio Pl / Josh

Your profile is set up in such a manner that you cannot be PM'd…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Hmmm I’ve received other emails through it today. Otherwise [email protected]

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Hi Cameron

(hello Wisepearl)

I am a little confused. I have heard of the same thing. Carly Crutchfield also promotes this same idea. The only area where I see it could to be 'shady' is when  the money is handed over. If you are a "buyers agent" I would suspect the money to travel through all the right avenues whereas if you are a "spotter" that may not be the case. A spotter, from where I see it, is just someone who is doing a cash job, getting paid less and doesn't necessarily have the expertise to 'charge' for his time and effort. A spotters fee is usually negotiated (with the potential buyer a long time prior to any transaction occurs) the spotter never goes directly to the seller for the purchase, he just sources the information, does the number crunching and presents the deal to the buyer – that is my understanding.

Good luck, Cameron.

Participant
    @csydney

Hi Marie 123

I believe you are right in your comments regarding spotter fees.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.