All Topics / Help Needed! / A few questions from the new guy… sorry, really long

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Hi all,
    Having spent the past few months trolling through the forums I've been totally inspired by the support you provide each other as members and I've already learnt a lot!

I'd love your thoughts on my current situation (positive, negative or otherwise)… and hopefully have some questions answered.
    Firstly a brief background: There's a few curly bits so bare with me!

Brought 1st property as PPOR in 2002 for $120K and for 276K (It was rented for a few years towards the end.)
    Brought I/P in 2006 for $276k now valued at about 380K (about $160k equity) Finally cashflow neutral – yay!
    Also brought and sold a block of land in there somewhere – broke even.
    Built current PPOR in 2010, has about $180k equity.

I was totally absorbed by the property thing a few years back but then life got in the way, moving jobs, starting a family, wife no longer working, building dream house blah blah blah… and now I'm ready to go again. For the past 6 months I've been researching everything, reading books, forums, realestate websites, talking to agents you name it. (My wife hates travelling with me!)

However, here's the tricky bit!
    Our PPOR is on the market because we're buying the family farm (Many would say it's a bad investment decision but it's always been the dream.) We're buying full ownership for half value, it's kind of an estate thing. Valued at $1.5mill, paying $750k, getting our inheritance early if you like. We have our PPOR on the market but want to keep the IP. The loan on the farm will be deductable (around $600k.)

At first I thought the size of the mortgage would be the end of investing, I'm now a little excited about using the $900K equity (carefully!) to invest when the time is right. 

My question is: If I was able to find/make CF+ properties how likely would it be that I could service additional IP's. Obviously the equity isn't an issue, but servicablility may be. (I know you don't have all the details for calculations)

On equity I could borrow over a mill per year which would create a nice little earner at retirement or sooner, but I'm guessing servicabiliy will be an issue.  Are there banks that consider 100% of the rent as income and if so will buyingt CF+ make it happen? The farm loan will return about $650 per fortnight as a deduction through the tax variation. We have approval on an offset residential loan so they're not taking it into account for the farm's purchase but would they for future borrowings? My accountant's focus is simply about getting the farm sorted first and I want to talk to the property experts to make sure I'm setting it up right for the long term.

Would you be going Line of Credit and if so would this, or any other set up improve servicability for future purchases – trusts, companies, SMSF??? (I have read threads about this elsewhere so apologies if I'm doubling up.) Does anyone use the "Dragon's" portfolio loan???

FYI: I'm ealry thirties on a salary of $113K (which I will keep when moving to the farm) The wife RTW part time bringing in about $15k.

Glad I got all that off my chest! – apologies for the length. I look foward to hearing your thoughts…

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Rusty,

sounds like you are in a good position. I would strongly recommend you speak with a mortgage broker who is also a successful investor themselves. They will be able to guide you on your journey. There are lenders that will consider 100% of rent from investment properties and again a good broker will source these lenders if required. Serviceability (Cashflow) is vital to keep you on the road, so to speak, so if you stick to your strategy with the guidance of a good team of experts you should be able to continue purchasing.

There are a couple of extremely knowledgeable and experienced brokers on this forum who also command sizable portfolios of their own. One of these has been of great assistance to me and will continue to do so in the future.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

How far along have you got with the purchase of the farm? (my dream too!)

think you should get some advice on structure. It may be best to use a discretionary trust to hold the farm. Or a unit/discretionary combo. The main residence CGT exemption is limited to just under 5 acres so this is not much of an issue. Land tax exemptions could apply to primiary producers too.

You would then lease to a company/trust you control to run the farm.

There are a host of reasons to do this.

Then with the loans, if you are buying for $750,000 but want a loan of $600,000 it won't be easy. You will have to convince the bank that this is a related party loan and for them to base the figures at market value – otherwise they will just work on the lower of vlaue or purchase price.

Once you get into the place it will not be easy to borrow against the equity either. Most lenders have more restrictive policies for rural properties and you would be limited to 60% to 80% LVR. What the farm is doing will also affect borrowings.

Of course you still have to be able to service to set up the LOC and then be able to service the new property loan as well. It won't be easy, but may be possible.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Thanks Jack and Terry,

I've spoken to our accountant about using a trust for the farm (he does this with his) We would have to pay stamp duty if we bought through a trust but if we buy in individual names we can receive a stamp duty exemption because it's a rural property being passed on from ancestors. This will save around $65000 so it was hard to pass it up. 

We have pre-approval for a residential loan and they're using the full 1.5 mill for the valuation (some banks used only the 750k). We're okay with serviceability for the farm, I'm more concerned about investing afterwards, maybe I should worry about it down the track. Being a residential loan, I was hoping they might use the residential criteria regarding using the LVR, although I guess we can't have it both ways if we're asking them to consider the tax advantages of the farm as income for our next IP purchase???)

The farm will be primary production but as a hobby and we hope to turn over around 20k in cattle. This will be an income of around $10000 but it will always run in the red, especially when repayments are taken into consideration.

Jack, I think I'll have to track down one of those "extremely knowledgeable and experienced brokers on this forum" you speak so highly of because they obviously know the game inside out. 

Thanks again.

Participant
    @terryw

What state is the property located in?
    How many acres?

I think you should be speaking to a lawyer about the stamp duty.

And, if the farm is a hobby then you won't be able to claim any deductions. Even if it is being run as a 'business' then the ATO won't like losses year after year and they could disallow deductions under part iva if it is not being run commercially.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@rusty05

Sorry Terry I should clarify,
    When I say a hobby I mean it won't make enough for my full time income, especially with the mortgage on it. Its 100 acres in NSW and we need a turn over of 20k which is quite achievable (my folks have done it forever). Our solicitor researched the stamp duty concession thoroughly and he's happy so hopefully it's all legit.

Participant
    @terryw

Well, sounds great Rusty. I would love 100 acres!

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

Rusty

I would be interested in learning more about the stamp duty exemption. I don't know of any exemptions for transferring land unless it is for a deceased estate or from a trustee to beneficiary. Do you have any idea how it was done, ie on what basis?

Email Me

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7
    rusty05 wrote:
    Jack, I think I'll have to track down one of those "extremely knowledgeable and experienced brokers on this forum" you speak so highly of because they obviously know the game inside out. 

Thanks again.

No worries Rusty and happy to help out. Sounds like Terry gave you some good advice.

If you need any further assistance re: broker PM me and I’ll be happy to pass on the details.

Hope all goes well mate.

Jack

Profile photo of Ryan EbertRyan Ebert
    @ryan-ebert

Hey everyone very new to this as well
    I’ve read in the book about using the forums to properties to the attention of buyers for a spotter fee in Chapter 16 in Flips and was wondering where to post these?
    Cheers

@rusty05

Terry,
    From what I understand the exemption applies for rural properties to allow farmers to pass farms onto their children. It applies to their children only, and not transactions between siblings or other relatives. I just had a quick look on the ATO site and couldn't find it but I know it's there somewhere. Our solicitor gave us some paperwork on it and it outlines the ATO section number so when you have that it is easy to find. It is a liilte ambiguous though so I had our solicitor do the research. I'll dig it up and let you know.

Jack, thanks so much, I'll PM you!

@rusty05
    rusty05 wrote:
    Terry,
    From what I understand the exemption applies for rural properties to allow farmers to pass farms onto their children. It applies to their children only, and not transactions between siblings or other relatives. I just had a quick look on the ATO site and couldn't find it but I know it's there somewhere. Our solicitor gave us some paperwork on it and it outlines the ATO section number so when you have that it is easy to find. It is a liilte ambiguous though so I had our solicitor do the research. I'll dig it up and let you know.

… when I say rural, I mean primary production

Participant
    @terryw
    rusty05 wrote:
    Terry,

Rusty,

Are you talking stamp duty on the transfer or CGT on the disposal by your parents? Stamp duty is a State based tax administered by the Office of State Revenue. CGT is a Commonwealth Tax administered by the ATO.

There are special concessions for CGT for primiary producers where the property has been held for xx years and the person is xx years old etc. Possibly no CGT would be payable.

But this would not affect stamp duty and would still apply if the purchaser is a trustee.

Email Me

@rusty05

Well both. Parents are exempt from CGT and we benefit the state's Stamp Duty exemption.

Participant
    @terryw

I am not trying to be difficult, but would love to know how you are getting the stamp duty exemption. I had a quick read of the Duties act and cannot find any exemptions which would qualify. I am a solicitor but don't do conveyancing and have no experience with rural properties, but it would be good to know.

Email Me

@rusty05

Not at all, I appreciate the conversation. I will have a look at the paperwork tonight and get back to you. It's all gobbledy-gook to me

Participant
    @terryw

ok, thanks.

Email Me

Profile photo of jeremyhjeremyh
    @jeremyh

What is Dragon's loan. I never heard this before.

Participant
    @terryw

St George

Email Me

@rusty05

Terry, the exemption I spoke of is not the ATO but the Office of State Revenue because as you mentioned Stamp Duty is state based.

According to our solicitor it comes under Section 274 of the Duties Act 1997, relating to ancentory laws and land use for primary production. I know it's on the OSR website – I found the emendments to the Act on OSR but I could only find the Act on another site (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/da199793/s274.html#person_directing) Click on the link for detailed info but this is the nuts and bolts of it:

274 Transfer of certain business property between family members

(1) Duty under this Act is not chargeable in respect of a transfer or agreement for the sale or transfer of land, a lease of land, or a transfer or assignment of a lease or permit in respect of land, used for primary production together with any other property that is an integral part of the business of primary production, if the Chief Commissioner is satisfied that:
    (a) the transferor, lessor or assignor, or the person directing the transferor, lessor or assignor, is an ancestor of the transferee, lessee or assignee, and
    (b) the land was land used for primary production in connection with a business carried on by the transferee, lessee or assignee, or by an ancestor of the transferee, lessee or assignee, (whether alone or with others) immediately before the transaction or the date of first execution of the instrument, and

(c) the business is to continue to be carried on by the transferee, lessee or assignee (whether alone or with others).

We meet those criteria with my parents being the transferor and myself being the transferee.  Also the amendment (2005) states:
    – amendment to section 274 makes it clear that an exemption for the transfer of land used for primary production between family members does not apply if the person acquiring the land does so as a trustee.

Like I said, it's all goobledy-gook to me but my solicitor said it's all good and will save me 65 grand so who am I to argue!

Hope this helps

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.