All Topics / Value Adding / Order of “things to do” please

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of jezfonzjezfonz
    @jezfonz

G'day, could someone please give me an "order" in which you would go about subdividing and building 2 townhouses on my current PPOR? Ie: get the plans done first? get the subdivision approved first? I'm looking for all the info needed right up until build stage. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Jezfonz,

Start at your council :) Make sure you can subdivide before going any further. What state do you live in? There are quite a few property investment meetings that you can find in this forum- get along to one and further your education with people doing it successfully :)

Holly

Profile photo of jezfonzjezfonz
    @jezfonz

Thanks for the reply Holly, I've checked with council and we can sub-divide. I'm in Victoria.

Profile photo of The ImmigrantThe Immigrant
    @the-immigrant

Even if council says you can subdivide, that usually comes with conditions. Most councils don't want to subdivide a vacant lot unless they have an assurance that you will build on it. Normally you build first then subdivide later, or do them simultaneously as there are applications that take so long to complete.

I am in the process of subdividing and building; building has not started yet as we are waiting on loan application to be approved.

If you want to hear my experiences and how i got it done, we can meet up sometime.

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Jezfonz,

Firstly I would say look at what zoning your property is in, and go on your council’s website and download their information on planning. There should be pdf’s of the application for a planning permit process along with the forms.

After you are satisfied that you’ve done your research, I would recommend that you speak to a town planner. From here you can get a good idea of what you can do with your property development-wise and even start looking around at options for the new dwelling.

Your next point of call should be to speak to a land surveyor. The first step in all developments is to conduct what is called a ‘Feature and Level Survey’ where the existing conditions of the block are located. Overlooking properties, trees, ResCode information and all other significant features are shown on this plan. This is what you will need to submit to council in order to obtain your permit.

Upon approval, your surveyor can then draw up the plan of subdivision and then help you through the entire process.

I hope this was of some help!

Regards,
    Ashley Stacey

@jezfonz

Thanks Novusprimo and Ashley…..I appreciate your info.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

This is process (summarised) that we use:

1. Assessment. Find out if what you are proposing can done, and if it is worthwhile.
    2. Strategy. Understand how your proposal will work.
    3. Concept. Using information from S1 and S2, generate visual concepts for town planning.
    4. Application. Having sought municipal feedback, make formal application based on the concepts.
    5. Detail. Having been granted town planning permission, generate working documentation.
    6. Build. Turn the documentation into bricks and mortar. complete the subdivision work concurrently.
    7. Realise. Sell, lease or both. This should go all the way back to Step 1!

Each of these steps contain there own complexities, but it's important to get your thinking in the right order.

Good luck with the project.

@jezfonz

Thanks Christian, I've got the ball rolling with council and some design ideas/plans. Do I now go see a townplanner and get their advice???

Cheers.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Yes, if you have a good idea of what you wish to achieve, it would now be the right time to approach a designer to help you with both the concepts and the process.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.