All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Buying a House with Friends

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of betescbetesc
    Participant
    @betesc

Hello

My partner and I are looking at selling our house in SA and purchasing in VIC. We have a friend that would like to put in, so we can purchase a large property, and convert/build a flat out the back. What is the best way for this to be setup? Trust? JV Partnership?

Also how will the bank treat the loan(s), one or two?

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

I recommend trust, it has better tax advantages and ability to distribute funds freely.
    For lending you may want to look out the portfolio packages.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Whether to do it with a trust or not will depend on whether you will live in it and claim it as a main residence.

There are also ways to structure it so that only one of you has to guarantee the loan.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Friends and business do NOT mix!
    If you must, make sure that you are able to strata title the different buildings or set up a company that issues shares. Each property has a share that entitles EXCLUSIVE rights to that part of the larger property.

Remember, if you with to sell later on and they other party does not wish to or is anable to, you will find yourself ina right bind.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.