All Topics / Help Needed! / how many times can I use the equity

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of wade anthonywade anthony
    Participant
    @wade-anthony

This may seem like a silly question but how many times can I use the equity in the same house, or does it only work once for every house or can it be used against 2 or 3?

thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As the property increases in value or the balance of the loan secured aganst it falls you can re-use the equity so infinite.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

Bullseye, as always Richard.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

Just to give you some more info Wade… What Richard said is entirely correct, but to put it into an example to simplify matters for you:

Let's say hypothetically you own a house worth $400,000 and currently have a mortgage owing on it of $200,000.

This means at this point in time you have equity of $200k in this house.

Let's say you decide to access that equity, and withdraw $100,000 as a line of credit to purchase another property.

Now you owe $300k on a $400k property.

Fast-forward 3 years down the track, and let's say for argument's sake your house is now worth $500,000, and because you've made a few additional repayments your mortgage is $280,000. Now you have a further $220,000 equity in this house you may decide to access.

The banks will have a limit as to how much equity you can withdraw, perhaps up to 80% of the value of the house, or maybe more – depends on many factors. However with time, your property value should continue to rise and as it does you can continue to release the equity which has been growing.

Hope that makes it crystal clear for you :)

Cheers,
    Emma

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    wisepearl wrote:
    The banks will have a limit as to how much equity you can withdraw, perhaps up to 80% of the value of the house, or maybe more – depends on many factors.

As a general rule, 90% + LMI is the max.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.