All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Trailer/Ute tax deductable

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of chrisauschrisaus
    Participant
    @chrisaus

Guys,

I have just purchased an investment property which is currently tennanted. I am in the market for a trailer/ute as I do all my own maintenance on the property and it's a real pain carting tools around with my 4d family sedan.

Is the purchase price of a trailer/ute tax deductable if you have an investment property?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    chrisaus wrote:
    Guys,

I have just purchased an investment property which is currently tennanted. I am in the market for a trailer/ute as I do all my own maintenance on the property and it's a real pain carting tools around with my 4d family sedan.

Is the purchase price of a trailer/ute tax deductable if you have an investment property?

The question is can you prove it’s for the investment property?

ANY money you spend towards the investment property is tax deductible ; including petrol and flights

Regards Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of chrisauschrisaus
    Participant
    @chrisaus

well I just installed an air conditioner the other day and had to cart all my tools in my sedan… I'm also planning to do some gutter work soon which will require more carting of tools/parts to and from home to the investment property… what sort of proof do you need?

Participant
    @shape

Im not questioning your use…i believe u WILL use it for investment…But
    when u lodge a tax return, ur accountant is going to ask to prove it’s for investment..as ATO requires paper trail proof; i was able to claim my 4×4 drie under investment but my situation is slightly diff in that i bought it under a company name and the company was a property investing company so that was my paper trail….

Might want to give ur accountant a call to see what he thinks and how you can create the proof.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You would probably be able to claim a deduction based on the rate for the engine size x KM travelled for IP related matters

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    Terryw wrote:
    You would probably be able to claim a deduction based on the rate for the engine size x KM travelled for IP related matters

Good point Terry.

In the event that one has numerous holdings and investment related km go over the 5000km limit, do
    investment related km (inspections, repairs, and other income related activities related to that portfolio)
    qualify to be attributed to a vehicle log book type documentation?………maybe 26 weeks(6 months) to be more reflective
    of investment related activities rather than the traditional 12 week (3 month) business log book. THat is the situation I am
    in.

Also does IP related travel in a motor vehicle for SMSF holdings get attributed to the trustee (or director of trustee
    company and also member) or to the super fund itself? The SMSF doesn't own motor vehicles, so km can't accumulate in
    that entity.  I am wondering if such km accumulated can also be attributed to me and go toward a log book type scenario.
    Depending on value of vehicle, a log book is more tax friendly (to me as a tax payer than a pure per km rate.

Any insights would be appreciated

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

As you act gratuitously as the trustee ie trustees of SMSFs don't charge for their time etc what is the connection between you driving km re SMSF properties AND Your taxable income

the best is you might be able to be reimbursed by the SMSF (subject to the rules), the SMSF would claim a deduction at 15c/$ and you would show the reimbursement as income and claim a deduction

Participant
    @shape
    Terryw wrote:

Terry- Good point – can def claim petrol and travel expense; but you rekon they can claim for the purchase it self + depreciation etc ?

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Mr5o1Mr5o1
    Participant
    @mr5o1

The usual rules will apply.

As regards the motor vehicle the 4 methods of calculating your deduction are available – though your probably only eligible for 2 of them, and the rate per km will probably give you the best deduction. You could use the log book method, but it’s unlikely you would get a reasonable percentage.

As regards the trailer, treat it the same as your other tools and equipment, estimate a percentage to which it’s related to the rental, and apply that to annual depreciation. (and be prepared to justify the percentage).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.