All Topics / Finance / Australian Dollar

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

There seems to be alot of sentiment around at the moment that the average Australian is struggling. Adding to this everyone seems to be on edge with the Australian and Global economy. I have to agree that the dollar just does not seem to go as far as it use too even though it is so high against the US Dollar at the moment.

Today I was browsing through some electrical and furniture shops and came across a product that a few years ago when the Aussie Dollar was low was at the same price as now. I thought prices for imported goods should drop?

It just doesn’t seem like the high Aussie Dollar really gives us much reprieve. What is the situation with this?

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Anybody…..??

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Well, I think its actually an incredibly complex topic, but some of my thoughts:

– Prices on some things have definitely gone down. TVs being a prime example.

– Just because a retailer can buy something cheaper, doesn't mean they're going to sell it cheaper, this comes down to competition.

– Better exchange rates may be disguising inflation, in which case if things turn around we're in for a shock.

– A lot of the things turning Aussies into battlers these days are local. Utility bills, council rates and basic shopping produce produced locally have all increased significantly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.