All Topics / General Property / Building a house and finishing it yourself

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

Just wondering what the complications are with the idea of having a builder build a house including electrical, plumbing, gyprocking, doors etc and basically finishing the house yourself. ie. kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, painting etc. I believe this would save considerable $ and I have experience in full renovations with time on my hands.
    Would i need an owner builders certificate or insurance for this?
    Or any other complications u may see… what about the occupation certificate? or is this simply an inspection for compliance.

regards

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Not sure on the insurance side of the house but the lender if you are using one may. You may not be able to access the funds as they will only provided funds for a builder most of the time. For a big build anyway, I think there may be flexibility if funds are for a small reno.

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

You’d have to get the house built and have a C of O (Certificate of Occupancy) this would mean having a kitchen and bathroom/toilet installed and working. You would come across warranty issues, as in who has warranty for what- if there are any issues after the C of O. I’m not aware of many builders that would take this type of job on :(

Holly

Profile photo of EleaElea
    @elea

Hi yobbo1,

Choosing a builder is one of the most important decisions that you’re going to make. If you are going to get one you need to consider a lot of things and also the builder should be willing and able to offer you a comprehensive written warranty. But of course, it will cost you too much.
    I believe that the most important consideration is the quality of the builder’s homes and cost is not a direct measure of quality but the good quality with merging of good design with appropriate products and materials that are installed.

All the best

Elea
    educatingpropertyinvestors.com

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

I’ve heard a lot of people doing this, getting the house built and fitting it out with family known trades at a cheaper rate.

I wouldn’t recommend this as there’s far more complications, and most of the time if the builder is doing multiple jobs at once, he would probably get kitchen fittings and bathroom for a lot cheaper then you will.

And in a contract specially if you have time constraints, a liquidated damages clause will save you big time.

Profile photo of MikeLewisMikeLewis
    @mikelewis

Not sure on the insurance side of the house but the lender if you are using one may. You may not be able to access the funds as they will only provided funds for a builder most of the time. For a big build anyway, I think there may be flexibility if funds are for a small Reno. I wouldn't recommend this as there are far more complications, and most of the time if the builder is doing multiple jobs at once, he would probably get kitchen fittings and bathroom for a lot cheaper then you will.

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.