All Topics / Help Needed! / Drainage on downwards sloping block

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

I'm looking at a house for long term buy and hold, with potential for future development. Nice block, but it slopes down away from the road. The agent mentioned it had previously been with a different agency and priced higher, "aimed at developers". Apparently the concern was building downslope and needing to pump stormwater/etc up to the road (her words roughly).

I know nothing about this kind of thing. I'm wondering if anyone could take this very general description and give me an idea of whats involved, and potential costs/etc?

To anticipate a likely question, no I don't think its likely viable to take drainage/etc out the back of the block and downhill. They're very long blocks.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

You would best to speak to a civil engineer or a hydraulics engineer as this is their area. It can be done by pumping to the main stormwater system or by using a sump in the rear of the block, depending on soil conditions and council rules. Either way, it is an expensive excersise and probably the reason why a developer hasn;t bought the block.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of InvestorMickInvestorMick
    Participant
    @investormick

We have just been doing a dual occupancy with this problem. The hydraulic engineer has designed a 17,600 lt tank system to deal with the water. It is costing around $15k to install. It was a bit of a process to get council approval but we did eventually get it.

Mick

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

You could consider absorption trenches. Needs a proper design but 2000 years of experience must say something.

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Hmm, my neighbor is a civil engineer I believe, I'll run it past him and see if he has any thoughts. If nothing else, hopefully he knows how the local council has tended to go on these things.

Profile photo of jlb2431jlb2431
    @jlb2431

Have you looked at the DP (deposited plans) of the block and connecting parcels?

If there are blocks next to yours with similar land characteristics, you may need to find out how they deal with their stormwater by identifying drainage easments that you may be able to take advantage of. If an easement exists you may be able to hook staight in or adjust a boundary to suit.

Contact your council or lands department for plans.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.