All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Getting a second depreciation report done after x amount of years

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Hi all,
    I was speaking to my accountant the other day and he suggested that when I get close to the fifth year of my depreciation report, that I should get another conducted as it will increase the depreciation value again as some things hold their value.

I have also read this in a book and a magazine article but did’t take much notice.

In theory it works ie after you get to 5 years your kitchen may not have much wear and tear so when the QS goes in it may still be close to the value it was 5 years ago.

But from a tax point of view it may not be right.

But then back to the other hand a QS is a professional so it he says what it is worth after 5 years would go…. possibly ;)

Not that I don’t trust my accountant but I have found out things on here that many people don’t know about.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds interesting, but wouldn't that mean you would be claiming more than 100% of the cost or value of the item.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Neil RichardsonNeil Richardson
    @neil-richardson

With regards to your kitchen, it is part of the capital allowance, so would not ever change.

if I a kitchen cost say, $10,000 to install in the year 2000, then that is the cost you depreciate for 40 years. It has nothing to do with the current cost or value, but the cost of installation/construction at the time it was installed/built.

Hope this answers your question.

I cannot see any benefit in redoing a report on your own property as the costs would be at the date of acquisition regardless of the date the report is done.

Regards

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

Hi Fredo 4305
    No point at all unless something significant has changed. ie. major reno's or if you had a very poor report done in the first place
    the report is valid for that purchase
    kind regards
    George smit
    CONDEV DEPRECIATION SERVICES
    http://www.condevds.com.au

Profile photo of Ashley CAshley C
    Participant
    @ashley-c

Hi,

From a tax perspective depreciation and capital works deductions are based on cost. 

A QS report is simply a means of determining what cost is when a property is acquired and details are not available for depreciable items and capital works.

As such, it would not be possible to re-assess the cost of existing items with a new QS report.  Further, the ATO would generally expect that any deductions for depreciable items and capital works acquired post settlement be based on the actual cost and not a QS report.  Ie if you paid for them you should have the details of what the actual cost was.

As such, I think that obtaining a new QS report is not appropriate.

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev
    Ashley C wrote:
    Hi,

Further, the ATO would generally expect that any deductions for depreciable items and capital works acquired post settlement be based on the actual cost and not a QS report.  Ie if you paid for them you should have the details of what the actual cost was.

As such, I think that obtaining a new QS report is not appropriate.

Hi Ashley C,
    Except for in the case where the property was the principal residence, then the ATO will accept that the taxpayer was not obliged to keep detailed cost records and will accept a QS report,
    kind reards
    George Smit
    http://www.aaaonlinepds.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.