All Topics / General Property / Moving to Aus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of JakeLJakeL
    @jakel

Hey guys,

I’m planning on moving to Australia next year with my wife, however i’m not entirely sure where to even start looking. We want a nice area (duh), with little crime and a good place to bring up a child. We’re looking for a property in the range of $300,000 – $400,000, so it would be great if we could find a great area and even house for that sort of price – we love the hot weather too and would preferably like to be near the coast so we can visit the beach as and when we like.

Any starter tips, help or other pointers would be great.

Regards,
    Jake.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Jake

I'd recommend you have a look at the Newcastle and Port Stephens area of coastal New South Wales. Newcastle has got to be the best little city on the East Coast and Port Stephens is a great coastal holiday area right next door. All still only 1.5 to 2.5 hours from Sydney.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Yep i would have agree Newcastle and Port Stephens is a good start; nice and friendly area with awesome beaches
    You could easily pick up a 2 bedroom unit (new) / 2 bedroom townhouse (older).

Try renting first, before jumping the gun.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

the suggestion of renting first is a good one… if you’re new to australia and have no established credit history here, you may find it hard to get finance for your purchase (if you’re looking for finance that is). Most banks need you to show genuine savings for 6 months or more, though I believe some banks will also factor in rent payments. if you move over and rent a house in an area you might like to buy for the first 6 months, you’ll be able to see if you’ve made the right choice in the area, plus be on the ground identifying good properties to buy within your chosen area. Get your savings together and then buy a great property!

as for which area of australia, well almost the entire country could have ‘nice places’ with little crime and great for raising a child. Do you want to be near the beach, or would you like more inland? do you like hot, dry summers, or happy to have very cold winter days? Woudl you like to ski or surf? where can you find your chosen work? Its such a big country, and within any state there will be suitable areas for you and your family.

welcome to Aus, and good luck!

Profile photo of JakeLJakeL
    @jakel

Thanks for the replies guys. We will definitely rent for 6 to 12 months before buying in any given area, obviously we don't want to be stuck in an area we don't like. One last thing how do the tenancy agreements work in Aus? For example are they fixed for 6 months (on the most part) or are they rolling tenancies? I assume the prior rather than the latter.

Thanks again!

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

Australia is huge, any idea as to what state you will be living in?

Possibly look to your qualifications and then aim for a state that would have job opportunities. Then find the nice place within that state.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    JakeL wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys. We will definitely rent for 6 to 12 months before buying in any given area, obviously we don't want to be stuck in an area we don't like. One last thing how do the tenancy agreements work in Aus? For example are they fixed for 6 months (on the most part) or are they rolling tenancies? I assume the prior rather than the latter.

Thanks again!

Most are 6 -12 month.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Depends upon what type of job you are after – there are plenty of well paying jobs up in the mines, golden sandy beaches, serenity etc but hudreds of KM from any major town or city.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl
    JakeL wrote:

Thanks again!

you can choose the length of the term. you can even just sign 3 months initially, but generally most people prefer a 6 month lease initially – tho 12 gives some guarantee to the owner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.