All Topics / Creative Investing / Would banks allow you to do wrap if you have an existing mortgage already?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of amytangamytang
    Participant
    @amytang

Hi,

I currently have a mortgage for my investment property.  If I sell it using vendor finance, would my bank allow that?

Once I sold my property using vendor finance I will receive positive cashflow – repayment from my buyer.  How would the bank treat this income if I need to borrow more money to buy another property?

Thanks!

Amy

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Amy

Your mortgage documents probably say no you can't do it but then your mortgage documents probably also stipulate that you have to get the lender's permission to rent the property, renovate the property, sell the property, etc, etc.  So you can't but, have literally thousands of properties been sold all over Australia with vendor finance (VF), all with existing mortgages that say they can't be?  Yes they have.

Also, if you go to the retail section of the bank and ask for a loan to buy a property to on-sell with (VF), they quite clearly tell you that's not allowed. However I have friends who've been to the commercial section of the bank and they've been given between $5 million and $7 million to buy properties and on-sell them with VF.

Go figure, the lenders say you can't do it and yet there's a thriving, growing industry doing it.

In relation to the income from our vendor financed properties, we get our direct debit service to label it as "investment property income".  This label has always allowed our lenders to treat the funds as income in our serviceability calculations.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.