All Topics / Help Needed! / Best way to get rid of credit card?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of justin71justin71
    @justin71

Hi guys

I have a credit card and its 9 grand in the red. I am wanting to know if these credit companies are any good that pay it off and then you pay them a fee? I want to avoid paying 150 dollars interest each month to CBA. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say Justin you wont find anyone who pays the card off for you and you then pay you a fee but you might find someone who charges a lower interest rate on balance transfers and that could help you.

Try someone like Citibank they used to have a pretty low rollover rate on C/C's.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mik.mik.
    @mik.

When I was in a similar position I took advantage of the 0% Balance Transfer for 6 months and found it much easier to pay off the debt when you can see it actually dropping. After the 6 months finished I transferred it to another and then again another. This was the only way I was able to pay off my 12k debt. There isn’t as many these days that offer it but off the top of my head I know ANZ and Citibank offer one. Not bad considering all you have to pay is usually around 50-60 annual charge upfront for each card instead of 100+ a month on interest. =)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ring up the bank and make them an offer to pay out the card in full, but only at 40% of the debt outstanding. They will take it probably if you give them a story about how poor you are and how close to going bankrupt you are. it wont even hurt your credit report.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    Terryw wrote:
    Ring up the bank and make them an offer to pay out the card in full, but only at 40% of the debt outstanding. They will take it probably if you give them a story about how poor you are and how close to going bankrupt you are. it wont even hurt your credit report.

This is the advice i will def take up!
    95% of the time the crdit card company would LOVE to hear from your; and you can always pull a deal-especially if your in the red.
    The most common;

1. Pay cc in full at 60-70% of the balance
    2. Go on a reduce rate for 6 month till your ok again- ie 8%

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I recently helped a friend do this. $80k down to less than $40k.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Well this all seems like good advice from Terry and Michael. I think Justin you are referring to the Likes of “My Budget” and there are others out there who deal with banks for you. I looked into this as a way of having someone else do my budgeting – and book work for me. There are others – Debt Assist. I could not justify the cost – something like $1000 a month to do this for me. While Richard says “Hate to say Justin you wont find anyone who pays the card off for you and you then pay you a fee”- this is what these 2 do. For me, I read Tony Melvin’s “From Red to Black” this can also be helpful. Worth the investment. Tony suggests the strategies that Terry and Richard do. I like the $0 balance transfer. It does help and it it works- why not. And Richards further comment: “but you might find someone who charges a lower interest rate on balance transfers and that could help you” if it works- do it.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Rahrah

Sorry i hate to disagree with you but neither "Debt Assist" or indeed "My Budget" pay off your debts for you and charge you a fee.

They are not lenders and merely negotiate on your behalf a reduction in the payments / interest rate / debt balance for which they charge a fee. They certainly do not "Pay Off" your debt  as i said to Justin in my initial response.

Unfortunately misleading responses given posters false hope.

Certainly debt negotiation could be considered so could rolling the debt over to a nil or low balance credit card.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@womeninpropmelb

Richard- dear dear! I don’t see any where where I said “they pay off your debts for you”. My response was that these were the types of organisations to which Justin was referring with which I had had some experience with., How is that a misleading post?

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Perhaps this is where the misunderstanding stems from : quote ….(( While Richard says "Hate to say Justin you wont find anyone who pays the card off for you and you then pay you a fee"- this is what these 2 do.))….

Whatever. 

Will a bank do a personal loan at around 11-12% or whatever the current personal loan rate is, to payout a credit card debt ?

Anyone know ?
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    thecrest wrote:
    Perhaps this is where the misunderstanding stems from : quote ….(( While Richard says "Hate to say Justin you wont find anyone who pays the card off for you and you then pay you a fee"- this is what these 2 do.))….

Whatever. 

Will a bank do a personal loan at around 11-12% or whatever the current personal loan rate is, to payout a credit card debt ?

Anyone know ?
    cheers
    thecrest

Unsecured personal loan….most likely not at that rate.

The lowest i seen for a unsecured PL rate is 13.5% was with CBA and was a promotion as well back in Feb 2011

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

@womeninpropmelb

Yes, poor choice of words perhaps.
    I still recommend Tony Melvins Red to Black- makes all these suggestions.
    Yes, the cosmos delivers……………

Profile photo of desiluckydesilucky
    @desilucky

Mate,,,
    Stop taking wrong advices from people,,, transfer it to NAB if possible at  only 1% bal transer rate,,, since everytime u go for debt agreement,,, and u want money from same bank,, they won't lend u,, N I won't write this on blogs but I work for an International Bank,, and whenever u do a debt agreement or lower settlement on a/c,,,, other banks know abt it,, they have a channel they follow,,, bottom line when u go and ask for credit again, non of the lenders will lend you,,,, unless you agree to pay premium interest,,, so u r better off by paying the bloody thing off mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.