All Topics / Value Adding / Studio apartment – creating a wall divider of sorts?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I would go about create a wall (without making structural changes to the building) so a studio apartment can be divided to have a living and a bedroom area. Just something really simple, but still looking good. I was thinking maybe a plasterboard wall from bunnings and cut it to size etc, but how would I attach to the roof and the floor (carpet)?

Oh and another thing I want it to be a fairly cheap option.

Any ideas guys? Is that enough info?

Thanks

Joe

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Jo, before pricing any type of wall in a studio, you’ll need to have it ok’d by the body corporate. It can get messy if you have the work done without bodycorp permission and they can make you demolish any works they havent approved.

Holly

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Thanks for the reply. But that was my point about saying no structural changes to the building, to call it a wall is probably too much more of a divider between the rooms.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi, the thing is, without attaching it to a wall (structural) you need supports to stop it from tipping over.

My son's friend had a free standing wall made to make the lounge into a bedroom in a terrace in the city. It was like a proper wall but had supports coming out of the bottom to support it. It looked big and ugly but they were happy as they could now fit 3 people in.

Maybe a curtain or a screen?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

you can always put a dogleg into the wall.

Profile photo of Heath WorkmanHeath Workman
    Participant
    @heath-workman

As far as fixing your plaster to the floor and ceiling you can make you own frame fairly cheaply out of trudek or something similar, it doesn't have to be strong as the wall is not load bearing. You can screw your piece of trudek into a stud in the wall or roof which ever is more apporpiate creating your new stud on the exposed side of the wall and screw your plaster sheet onto that.

This is probably too structual but that's how I'd do it in my house if it was to be a fairly permanant fixture. It could be removed of course but the wall would have been damaged from screwing into so you'd have to plaster up the holes.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If it touches the ceiling, the building code of australia calls it a wall. If it is a wall, you require a DA. If you have to get a DA, you will need body corporate consent.

Do you want the liability of having extended a path of travel in the event of an inquest?

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    If it touches the ceiling, the building code of australia calls it a wall. If it is a wall, you require a DA. If you have to get a DA, you will need body corporate consent.?

So theoretically you could put up a divider that didn’t go all the way to the ceiling, but was above head height? Thus still allowing some open space at the top and not feeling so claustrophobic, but providing more privacy than a folding screen or curtain? Would there be some way of erecting a “wall” which was fixed to the side wall and floor, but with a free edge on top and on one side?

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Yes – a blade wall with a T at the open face or a dogleg.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

the plantation louvre shutters look good

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Oh thanks for the replies guys, sorry I thought this thread had died a while ago. Thanks for the ideas.
    Cheers

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

joeandchels – have a look at this pic, they have created a privacy screen which doesn’t close up the area too much

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-wa-east+perth-107432222

Profile photo of neetyneety
    @neety

I did that in my little unit on the Gold coast.  I got a quote for a builder to build a wall approx 3 m long.  Quote $2-3k.  Way too much for me.  So I built the bloomin thing my self.  Very proud.  Bought timber framing.  went on you tube to see how they build a wall.  Went to recylcler and bought a door in a frame, and a louvre door (which I had chopped in half).  Laid out the timber on the floor, stood it up, nailed off too the side walls.  I had to make it a 'dog leg' to give it more support.  Shoved in a couple of timber wedges at the top to support it.  The Gibrock was too big and heavy for me to manouver, so I bought 3mm thin line instead.  Plastered it, and wall papered over the top.  On the bedroom side of the dog leg, a put in a freestanding Ikea wardrobe.  And wholaa, a studio is now a 1 brm.  The whole thing took a while since I was working full time,  about 5 weeks, since I was living in there I could take my time.  Never renovated before and the whole thing cost me finished around $400 or so.

Very proud.

darn Wont let me put in a picture of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.