All Topics / Help Needed! / Where to start…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of zigreenmanzigreenman
    @zigreenman

Hi All

I am very new to the world of property investment, and to this great forum,
    so where should one start with the education?

I have read Michael Yardney's

What Every Property Investor needs to know about Finance Tax and the Law

and read through Financial Reviews and newspapers to try to get a general idea
    of what should be going into my plan, what are some great books or website which you
    have considered to be indispensable to your learning and planning to your investments.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

PS. I have just brought From 0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 Years

Profile photo of PuglyPugly
    @pugly

I also am new but  have been getting benefit from reading as much as I can. Whether you agree totaly with their point of view or not, most of the time I can gain valuable information and knowledge form their works. Most writers have had long term experience so if it works for them, most of the time there is no reason why it won't work for you.

P.S – Surrounding yourself with like minded people really helps as well, as well as a good accountant, a good one can save you heaps of money and headaches.

Profile photo of Jason700Jason700
    @jason700

Ummm Property Investing forums such as this one are a good start.  I find that I'll say something which is wrong or slightly wrong and then there'll be someone that'll correct me.  So this space is really good for making mistakes and learning off the experts.  Personally I do not call myself and expert even though I write about property in a blog/online website

Profile photo of zigreenmanzigreenman
    @zigreenman

Thanks for the quick reply.

To Pugly, I do think that writers like Michael Yardney or any other experts are worth a great deal to learn from, but I was a bit well turned off when I got to his website, I am not saying they are not professionals just feels like more of an ad site to me.  And plus its not updated very much, at least on the front page.  I guess what I am trying to say is I have no problem buying their product but don't like to be pushed into buying something.

To Jason thanks for the website, another one for me to read during my day job

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Zigreenman

Each IP author has a different opinion on the best way to invest. Personally, I would just read widely – take into account the different opinions/advice and use your own judgement to formulate your own strategy. Also, everyone’s different in terms of the risks their willing to accept, their level of income, etc so what works for one person may not necessarily work for the other.

Here’s some more websites to read at work :) http://www.passgo.com.au/property-data-websites

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

If it’s stock – Paper trade for 6 month

Property- Focus on one property type, and area and work with the numbers and look for “growth drivers”

Most importantly, speak to ppl who have similar mind set and learn from each another- then build a great team of professional who would work WITH you and understand what YOU want to achieve…

P.S i find speaking to work mates helps

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of zigreenmanzigreenman
    @zigreenman

Thanks Jamie, Shape

I was thinking the exact same thing, reading a wide range of books to help me decide what I should plan.

Just brought Renton's Family Trusts

Hmm, read the first chapter definitely not for pleasure readings,  a bit technical even if it is written for the average person.

Regards

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries.

Also check out books by Margaret Lomas, Jan Somers and Dolf De Roos as well. The book by Margaret Lomas titled 20 must ask questions (or something like that) is a good read. Jan Somers and Dolf De Roos are great for learning the fundamentals.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Heath WorkmanHeath Workman
    Participant
    @heath-workman

Three property investing books I have read this year are: Real Estate, John McGrath
    0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 years, Steve McKnight
    and
    Your Mortgage: How to Save $50 000 – $250 000 per Property, Anita Bell

Profile photo of mik.mik.
    @mik.

I am in a similar position and have just read HOW TO ACHIEVE WEALTH FOR LIFE THROUGH PROPERTY INVESTING by TONY MELVIN & ED CHAN. Found it a good read and did learn a lot :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.