All Topics / Value Adding / Double story townhouse – overlooking single storey houses/views

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Monty1Monty1
    @monty1

Hi folks

We are only at the stages of ‘toying’ with the idea of subdividing our block in Melbourne. We would only have approx. 240m2 of land to build on so without knowing too much about townhouse sizes, I dare say, we might have to build a double story (to be determined??).

My question is, if we built double-story – what is the regulations with windows looking down into neighbours yards/our yard? Is there any? (I thought there was?).

The back of us is a high school and the area directly behind our fence line is like their utility area (large garden shed/veggie patch) and either side of that is the basketball courts on one side, and their oval on the other. (This would be the north facing side).

I’m just wondering if it would be best to direct the living areas/bedroom windows away from the high school (but this is the north facing) – and hence have them facing back towards us (Or to the east/west neighbours?) and try to face laundry/bathrooms/least lived in rooms towards the high school?

I guess it’s unavoidable if a two story dwelling is amongst single story housing – but just asking for any tips on the ideal way to minimise loss of privacy to the neighbours. We wouldn’t have a back yard as such – we would probably just try to retain our deck and use the front yard as our outdoor space. But even so, if the back townhouse faced back towards us – we have glass back doors/windows and they would see straight in.

Any ideas? How do you get around things like that?
    HOpe I’m making some sense – apologies if not (it’s past my bed time ;)

Monty.

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1

It depends upon the council and the local zoning, but overlooking into neighbours properties and their back yards is an issue that the council will be concerned with

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Hi Monty,

In the past, we avoided overlooking issues by using higher windows or opaque glass for upper floor.

With the ground floor I would rather have the habitable windows face north as it makes a huge difference for energy efficiency. There probably would be minimal windows to the side facing your existing house because you will need to place a garage in between the 2 buildings.

I hope this all make sense as I’m not a professional in designing these things just leant a few tricks from my designer for my developments!

Profile photo of Monty1Monty1
    @monty1

Hi Charles 1 – thanks for your input and I can very well appreciate that council would be concerned with overlooking neighbouring properties but I just wonder how everyone else in suburbia manages to either build a second story or build a townhouse etc when they have neighbours to deal with? I mean, a large portion of houses in my area are double story. How do they avoid over-looking their neighbours?

Hi Hrub – thanks also for your input. I didn’t know that it would be ‘rule’ that we would have to put a garage in between the two properties. Thought that perhaps the garage/car space could go at the end of the existing driveway. But as I have said, we haven’t looked into anything so we really don’t know much to begin with. Placing a garage inbetween the two buildings – a) not sure there would be room inbetween and b) it might then interfere with the northern light we get through our glass doors if there was a tall building close to our house.

Hmmm, starting to realise that our land space might not be conducive to a subdivision. Would be ideal to knock down and redevelop two properties but our house is too newly renovated so not worth it (yet). Really appreciate your input though – all food for thought. Thanks.

Thanks again both.
    Monty1

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Monty,

It’s not a rule that you need to build a garage in between but you do need at least 1 carspace per each dwelling and each has convenient access. You should still enquire with a professional to see whether you have enough space and that shouldn’t cost you anything!

Good luck!

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

Monty,
    The "rule" around overlooking is that bedroom and living area windows shouldn't have views into neighbouring windows or backyards.  If you have windows that will look towards your neighbours then as Hrub suggested there are treatments such as opaque glass, high windows or fixed screens that limit the views. Also there is a separate "rule" to limit internal overlooking between the properties on the site.

Also in regards to the high school, there is nothing to say that you can't have windows that face it.  They and the council may raise concerns but they don't have planning basis. Generally it is best for windows to face that way to minimise overlooking and provide full windows for the house.  Also as they are north it is further argument.

In terms of whether there is enough space, I daresay that a lot is in the design.  I have seen really skinny double storey houses that have gone in small backyards.  You do need to remember that you will need car parking for each house (1-2 spaces depending on the number of bedrooms) and back or side yard for both houses (sometimes but not always you can use the front garden for the front house).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Monty,

If you like I can send you some more detailed information via email and be able to get a detailed idea of whether or not this would be possible. Feel free to send me an email (link in my signature) and I’ll be happy to help you out.

Regards,
    Ashley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.