All Topics / Help Needed! / Granny flat total set up costs????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Woody86Woody86
    @woody86

Hi
    Was just wondering if anyone has added a granny flat for investment and what are the total set up costs. I have seen kit homes and pre built homes for around 15 – 20 k was just wondering what other costs amount to. Is it possible to do the whole thing for under 40k . I see people mentioning prices around 80 to 100 k which I think is extremely expensive

thanks

Also how do you seperate the utility costs for a tenant in a granny flat and tenant in a house?

Profile photo of Andrew Lee LawyersAndrew Lee Lawyers
    Participant
    @andrew-lee-lawyers

Hi James,

I had a few quotes (from builders who were mates) last year and they were around the $80k – $90k mark.

The expensive part is the site costs. The materials are make up less than 40% of the costs.

If you know a few tradies, obviously labour might be significantly cheaper.

I would also be interested if it can be done for around $40k all up.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

utilities are kept separate by adding separate meters. contact you water, gas and electricity providers to enquire.  be aware though that the cost of installing a water meter is heaps compared to just paying for the tenant's water usage.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of tmlnetstmlnets
    @tmlnets

Are you located in Sydney NSW? if so, i know of a guy who has done it for around $40K.

Dont think he is licensed though in building……

I think he is licenses as a capenter…..

Profile photo of wobblysquarewobblysquare
    Participant
    @wobblysquare

I'd like to know where you have seen kit homes / pre-built homes for 15-20k. Please either PM me or post details on forum…
    Cheers Peter.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I would like to see this also!!  Post on here for all to enjoy

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Hi Guys,

I am getting one built at the moment. Total costs will be about $85k, although admittedly my site has a bit of a slope so there is a bit of earthworks. The unit is a 2 bedroom unit and 60 square metres in size and is of good quality, and I am getting a builder to build it (not doing any work myself apart from minor landscaping).

I would be interested in hearing if you could get it done for $40k. It might be possible if it is a small one bedroom unit, services are really really easy to get to and so cheap to connect and you do all of the work yourself as an owner builder. Let us know how you go!!!

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Yes, $15K – $20K sounds cheap! Please share.

Profile photo of Woody86Woody86
    @woody86

Thanks for the posts guys. There are numerous sites that have the kit homes for around 20k . you then have to connect them up. I am only talking about little one bedders or studios though , not the 2 bedroom kit homes. Just something you can pop on the back of a block without having to get council approval. I was only browsing the net when I came across them . If will try find the sites and post a few.

@woody86

Here is one I just came across after 5 mins on google

http://www.kit-homes.com.au/chalet45.htm

Participant
    @luke86

$22k for a small granny flat on a slab (so no floor frame included) is an ok price. I have had quotes for $32k for a 60m2 two bedroom one on stumps (so it includes a floor frame).

Cheers,
    Luke

@woody86

Thats good. Where did you get that from. I dont know know too much about granny flats which is why i posted the question. I just thought paying near 80k just seemed to be extremely expensive

Participant
    @luke86

If you are getting a builder to build it for you, then $80k for a decent quality 60m2 unit is not a bad- it works out to about $1300 per square metre which is a reasonable price I think. Obviously if you are going to build it yourself then you will save a bit of money.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

tmlnets- 40k for granny flat in Sydney is decent!!! do you have the contact of the builder/ capenter ? PM if you want

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of wobblysquarewobblysquare
    Participant
    @wobblysquare

Luke86
    post on forum or PM me also. 32k for 60m2, on stumps sounds good to me….please advise where (area) and details….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.