All Topics / Help Needed! / ANZ’s position on Negative Gearing

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of chappy1970chappy1970
    Participant
    @chappy1970

I read with interest a Senior Manager at ANZ's opinion on Negative Gearing and it's impact on Australian housing affordability.

I'd be interested in poeple's thoughts on the ATO's appetite to look at ammending the Negative gearing benefit to Australian property investors.

I understand this is a relatively open ended question as it is unlikely that anyone really knows what the ATO may have in mind in the future.

Thoughts anyone?

Chris

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

I went to industry meeting/forum on Wednesday about this topic.
    I can tell you now, all the banks are pushing to abolish OR decrease the function of -VE ; There were no ATO representatives at the forum but im sure they were sitting at the back listing and taking notes.

ANZ talks about how it can improve housing affordability etc…<moderator: delete language> yes it may improve housing affordability …but ANZ being a commercial business has another agenda and that is to improve it's bottom line borrowing rate and profit.

This is how -VE affects the banks:
    1. Higher chance of defaulting on loans…as a lot of investors are highly -ve geared = mkaing a lost every day = high risk
    2. investors with -Ve property have high borrowing cap ie 90-95%LVR's and also it's mostly IO loans…
    3. When the bank go overseas to borrow money the funder will look at the bank's lending book….if they have a lot of investors on their book their debt to "equity/title deed" ratio is much lower..especially when most of the loans are IO = Higher wholesale interest rate

End of the day, the more owners occupier loans the banks get the better- No monthly lost, most are 80% LVR, and always pay off quicker, on time and condition of home/asset is much better = better selling potential.

I personally think -VE will never be abolish , but instead it will be "diminished" ie A cap amount or will have a barrier on what can be claimed. Just look back when Paul Keating was PM and the -Ve was abolished….it was bought back a few years later….

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of tmlnetstmlnets
    @tmlnets

I think the idea is to limit the number of people to have multiple properties. I guess is all about supply and demand, if the government include a tax levy onto property investor this may deter them from buying more and therefore less demand on the short supply of property.

In saying this, i think this only applies to property that has establish infrastructure and areas that are undersupply closer to the major capital cities. The effect is not all investors buy near the CBD. So, if they put in this levy this will affect new growth to those areas require new investments.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    tmlnets wrote:
    I think the idea is to limit the number of people to have multiple properties. I guess is all about supply and demand, if the government include a tax levy onto property investor this may deter them from buying more and therefore less demand on the short supply of property.

In saying this, i think this only applies to property that has establish infrastructure and areas that are undersupply closer to the major capital cities. The effect is not all investors buy near the CBD. So, if they put in this levy this will affect new growth to those areas require new investments.

That’s the way i view it as well.

Even though im a active CBD investor :(
    sigh….

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Here is a link to an article re this
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/negative-gearing-unhealthy-says-anz-boss-20110602-1fiz8.html

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

Help me understand. If I am an investor that keeps 80% LVR, yet uses negative gearing and depreciation etc to result in a positive net cashflow, am I still a target of this? I think yes, but am confused.

As far as I can tell, this will only cause a temporary drop in prices as;
    Investors back off and try to put their rents up faster, with varying effects. The numbers won't stack up as well. (Except in mining areas where speculation will accelerate)
    The quick owner-occupiers will take up the slack and the prices will go back to where they were.
    Large developers still have the same costs to build, so new houses aren't going to be any cheaper. No extra supply.
    Small developers usually leverage negative gearing to help their cashflow so they are going to back off. Causing a small decrease in housing supply. Especially in "in-fill" areas around CBD's where many state governments are trying to accelerate development.(Thus driving rents up further)
    The "slow" majority of owner-occupiers will be too slow, by the time they buy the prices will be back where they were.

The only real winners will be;
    The banks for reasons already stated. (Although I think they make alot of money "by-proxy" through investor rent income. We take the risk of full recourse, the renters and bank do not.)
    The government. They will claim a victory for the working class man, which is absolute nonsense because rents will be higher and prices back to where they were. CBD regions will be worse due to the slowdown in "in-fill" development.

This happens, I invest more overseas (equities and property) more aggressively. Simple. That can't be "good for the nation."

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

I am with Michael, Keating tried to abolish negative gearing but there was an outcry. Further the government is encouraging property investors with NRAS- there is a shortage of housing no matter which way you look at it- investors or not. The government needs investors to build the shortfall in housing. The banks might have a bigger push – they seem to have a lot of clout- and all the money…………and they want more? The banks have a responsibility too. I recall over 10 years ago the government saying it was not going to fund public housing. The commentators said there would be a housing shortage- what do we have now? A housing shortage! What drives prices up? Less supply than demand.

Participant
    @terryw

Didn't they actually abolish NG  many years ago? From memory there was a huge shortage of rental property and they quickly reintroduced it.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@emptyvessel

Yeah, I saw a heated debate on another forum about this. Some folks presented reasonable evidence to suggest that there actually wasn't a shortage and there wasn't a real rise in rents.

Seems to be some very angry people out there that hate property investors. They think we are all rich land barons crushing the will of our poor "serfs" through our unbridled greed. Angry little people.

Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

@ Shape

Whilst some of your points are valid, namely how NG may affects banks. The banks have ultimately taken this risk on as they have an appetite for such risk (whether the basis for this justifiable is another debate) . As the banks have transparency over the cashflow position of investors or any borrower for that matter, they can choose to say no, we’re not lending to you because you’re negatively geared .

NG is not the problem, it’s the banks lending criteria that needs to be scrutinised as they should not be lending to certain individuals, which relates back to point one of your post “higher chance of default”. NG when managed appropriately can work well (although I personally prefer positive cashflow), however it becomes a material concern when individuals are given funding from banks which is disproportionate to their cash in flows.

In essence what I’m saying is that the banks have the capacity to control how much NG business they want in their books through more robust policies, however they also have to meet the demanding needs of shareholders and the board, so there is a constant pressure to achieve YoY growth.

@womeninpropmelb

Yes, Terryw, Keating abolished it and there was a shortage of housing and now its even a bigger shortage!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Why point the finger solely @ property investors using NG? Equity investors should also suffer the same consequences. The ato cannot simply remove ng from one investment class but not another which uses similar principles.

@womeninpropmelb

Scott No Mates, you are absolutely correct- NG applies to other classes of investments as well. I guess this forum is about property though- so we are talking about property.

Profile photo of bumskinsbumskins
    Participant
    @bumskins

What I would like to see happen:

State Government Remove Stamp Duty & rely on changes to land tax to make up the short fall, this should reduce land banking/property barrens & would allow a better flowing economy with more mobile workers.

Remove Negative Gearing & the massive speculation in housing (it should be predominantly used to live in and raise a family, with investing being secondary). Overtime property value & rent  trends will mate back up to create reasonable rental yields which will still mean investment, but not rampant speculation. It should be stable/consistent returns.

The only place I could see a benefit to Negative Gearing remaining is to drive the creation of new stock.

With Negative Gearing & Easy credit its just to easy for people to keep bidding up property on other peoples dime. Eventhough a small percentage of housing investors do their research and make good well informed decisions on what property to invest in. I think there is a large majority that invest in housing for "Negative Gearing" and don't really look at whether the investment is good or not in its own right.

Keep it so that Foreign Investors may only purchase to live in and must divest 'X' years after leaving the country.

I don't think high property prices really benefits anyone in the end, it just leads to a need to keep paying higher wages making us less competitive with other countries around the world. It means that new people into the market, our daughters, sons, grandchildren are going to have to work harder, longer and contribute even more of their income to property (which in the case of existing property is almost completely 'unproductive' money) which will mean a decreased standard of living. Also that money is being taken away from other industries (tourism, retail, agriculture, etc..).

What happens when the mining boom ends? what will we export then? all we are doing is making ourselves so big and expensive that we will price ourselves out of the world market.
    Overall we are better off with cheaper houses & lower wages. Housing is so disproportionatly high compared to all our other living costs (food, cars, entertainment, electricity, etc..)

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    emptyvessel wrote:
    Seems to be some very angry people out there that hate property investors. They think we are all rich land barons crushing the will of our poor "serfs" through our unbridled greed. Angry little people.

Well I've read this many times before: it is investors that drive up rents and homebuyers/ owner-occupiers drive up house prices. Then there are a number of people that also say they've not had a rent rise in yonks. The corollary of all this is: both renters and their landlords are hurting…well, owner-occupiers are too, but it is actually owner-occupiers that compete with renters and are their greatest enemy, driving up home prices and preventing would be FHB from getting a foot in the door.

It's easy for renters to fall into the perception that they are servants and paying the mortgage for their landlord. The truth is that it's a partnership. Landlord and renter both have a role to play. Landlord provides the housing, renter pays 'boarding fees'. I've also read this before somewhere: to earn a million dollars, you have to provide a million dollars worth of services. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide a service to renters, and boy do I know it.

When bees invade the roof, I respond to my tenant's calls and get pest people out. When a big tree branch falls, I respond, get quotes to get it removed, or apply for a permit to get the whole tree removed. When I know the carport might be rotting and potentially unsafe, I respond and get it repaired. Carpet is breaking down and floorboards rotting? I respond again and get it fixed up. A responsible landlord is precisely this: to respond to the needs of tenants.

So tell us, who is the real servant? No, there is no servant at all in this relationship. It is a partnership.

@emptyvessel
    fWord wrote:
    emptyvessel wrote:

Well I've read this many times before: it is investors that drive up rents and homebuyers/ owner-occupiers drive up house prices. Then there are a number of people that also say they've not had a rent rise in yonks. The corollary of all this is: both renters and their landlords are hurting…well, owner-occupiers are too, but it is actually owner-occupiers that compete with renters and are their greatest enemy, driving up home prices and preventing would be FHB from getting a foot in the door.

It's easy for renters to fall into the perception that they are servants and paying the mortgage for their landlord. The truth is that it's a partnership. Landlord and renter both have a role to play. Landlord provides the housing, renter pays 'boarding fees'. I've also read this before somewhere: to earn a million dollars, you have to provide a million dollars worth of services. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide a service to renters, and boy do I know it.

When bees invade the roof, I respond to my tenant's calls and get pest people out. When a big tree branch falls, I respond, get quotes to get it removed, or apply for a permit to get the whole tree removed. When I know the carport might be rotting and potentially unsafe, I respond and get it repaired. Carpet is breaking down and floorboards rotting? I respond again and get it fixed up. A responsible landlord is precisely this: to respond to the needs of tenants.

So tell us, who is the real servant? No, there is no servant at all in this relationship. It is a partnership.

Hell yeah! *Claps*

Profile photo of NIMBYNIMBY
    Participant
    @nimby

If the gov't reduced the tax breaks for investors in real estate (of which NG is one) then the investors would be less likely to choose to invest in property. This would have some effect on the demand for purchase of property (i.e drop sale prices slightly) but it would have a much greater impact on rentals – and in the wrong direction. Less investors = less rental properties = higher rents. Investors will only purchase property when there is a sufficient return above the risk free rate to justify the risk. Tax breaks help to make the return stack up – remove these and rents will only go one way. Then there will be more owner occupiers in the market, who will push the price up to a level that is sustainable for investors…. and around we go again

There is only one way to improve afforability and that is to increase supply by enough to reduce prices. To do that, they need to reduce the costs of development (and that is another topic).

But, here's the catch – if prices go down, then there are going to be a whole lot of people with negative equity in their home. This will be bad news for politicians popularity, and even worse news for banks who can't recover their money when borrowers default with an LVR of 120%.

Participant
    @terryw

But if there are less investors buying then there will be more owner occupiers buying and therefore less renters?

I think the main effect may be a decrease in new properties being built as investors would be less inclined to invest in construction. However, most developers would not be negative gearing anyway so maybe this won't be effected.

Email Me

Profile photo of chappy1970chappy1970
    Participant
    @chappy1970
    Terryw wrote:
    I think the main effect may be a decrease in new properties being built as investors would be less inclined to invest in construction. However, most developers would not be negative gearing anyway so maybe this won't be effected.

Terry imagine the backlash from the building industry if this was to occur.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

As the building industry is a major part of the economy and provides thousands of jobs, any decision that would adversely impact this industry would be very unpopular. Given the construction unions relationship with Labor, I doubt this will happen under the current government, and also doubt this will hapen under a Liberal government. Also with the current shortage of housing in middle ring suburbs, any legistation that would discourage urban infill development projects (which are usually bought by investors as negatively geared properties) would be a disaster.

Cheers,
    Luke

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.