All Topics / Value Adding / How to find good tradies in Sydney

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of sc541sc541
    @sc541

Hi all,

Wanting to do some renovations to an investment property located in Sydney.

Things like knocking out a wall and electrical.

How do I find good tradies/subcontractors that can do this. I’ve tried searching on Google but not much luck

Cheers

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

What part of Sydney? It's a big place.

What other things are you looking at doing?

I have some tradies out west.

Profile photo of sc541sc541
    @sc541

I’m particularly looking for someone that can remove an internal wall

Someone that is experienced and can hopefully look after moving of power points etc..

In the North Shore of Sydney

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Watch a DIY youtube clip and get cracking :)

It’s a job that can be carried out by any carpenter or handyman. Is the property being managed at present? If so, ask them for a contact.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Only issue with not using a qualified tradie is knowing if it's a load bearing wall. Not too hard to pick but I've seen people remove walls without the correct beams (or none) and roofs collapse.

Having said that we did ours ourselves. Those bloomin support beams weigh a ton. 

Profile photo of Property TraderProperty Trader
    Participant
    @property-trader

I There,

We are based in Brisbane and have built a good trade team over time. Some helpful hints are as follows [1]  I normally stayed away from the local newspapers as that's where most of our horror stories have been sourced from.  [2]  what has worked best for us is finding a good tradesman in another area such as a plumber and asking whether he can recommend anybody that he has worked with recently. 

I hope this helps

Property Trader | Boston West Pty Ltd
    http://bostonwest.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Private money lending opportunities available paying upto 12%, secured by bricks and mortar!

Profile photo of Daniel CameronDaniel Cameron
    Participant
    @daniel-cameron

The good Tradies do not need to advertise i have also found that the horror stories also come from the little Trady ads in the paper.

Good Tradies want to hide and be selective as to who they work for so they do not get bothered with to many calls etc. The word of mouth runs strong for them!

I have got enough Family members Cousins, Uncles either qualified or "Jack of all Trades" in all areas of the trades that these are the best for my to trust with payments turning up on time, getting a good job done etc. Right up to solicitors and barristers handling conveyancing.

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

Guess you already asked your family and friends before posting here. If they do not know anyone – this is how I’m, getting traders when I’m new to the town my renos & developments are interstate) Works like a charm each time:

Call the RE office from where property was bought/rented. (You do not even need to talk to the agent. A receptionist will help you).

Ask them for a contact of traders on their list, for 2-3 for each trade you require. All RE agencies have a list of trades that they work with. And this list if quick valuable for few reasons:

·         Those are the traders they currently work with, and think we’ll about. They will remove those they are not happy with, or are too expensive.

·         They regularly check their licences, insurances, and safety policies.

·         Traders who work for RE are used to work to the strict deadlines – must finish their work by Saturday opening house, fit it around tenant’s available time, et. It will be easier to plan things for you.

Mention to the trader that “such and such” RE recommended them. Good traders are always busy and booked out. Since RE’s are their repeated business – they will treat you as a priority, and will be a bit more accountable.

Get few quote in writing, and consider prices. But no less important when choosing a trader – trust your guts!!! If you can not communicate the trader, do not like an attitude, they do not pay attention during the quote – it will only get worth once they start the job!

I’ve been through this so many time and every single time I’m tempted to choose a trade I did not feel good about, but they were cheaper – things went wrong (it’s so tempting! $700+GST less for concreting. He’s an idiot. How bad can it be? Same concrete, same drawings. Right? WRONG!!!!!!! Just listen to your guts and chose the trader you feel good about!)

Also, when you find a good trader – ask him for a recommendation for other trades. Traders often work side by side on project. It’s just a human nature – we come along with people that are like us. A tidy, punctual and skilled trader is likely to recommend you someone who are alike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.