All Topics / Value Adding / Referral of Town Planner / Architect

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of NIMBYNIMBY
    Participant
    @nimby

I have a small 2 bed house in Lake Macquarie area of NSW on 850sqm block, and am hoping I may acquire neighbouring block (total would then be 1,700sqm), and get DA approval for about 6 townhouses (zoning is for med – high density res). I am trying to work out whether to engage a town planner or architect in the first instant to work out what might be feasible, so I can determine how much I can pay for neigbouring property.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who you would engage first, and any recommendations in that area?

Profile photo of wade anthonywade anthony
    Participant
    @wade-anthony

If the zoning is as you say I would go to the Architect/draftsman first. I would only engage a Town planner is there was a different zoning other than residential or in a heritage part of town.
    Check your local DCP – development control plan and/or  LEP – land environment plan.

Check the DCP for land to space ratio's, eg for 85m²+ residence per 250m² of site area. This will give you some indication of areas and how many townhouses you may be allowed. There may also be a street allotment size eg. off a main road they may require a minimum width for the block.

If the zoning is for med to high density I would suggest trying to max the block to maximize your potential development. I am not an Architect but I am a Structural and Architectural designer and suggest if you are on a budget and don't have alot of money to waste on fee's I would go to a designer as Architects can be over valued and may charge a percentage on the development, the highest I have heard of people paying up to 15% on the value of the development, so check first before you commit.

Most professionals should be able to give you a indication of what can be developed with a short consult. I hope this helps.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hi Nimbey,

There's also the nebulous 'neighbourhood character' criterea to be aware of.  If you're the first in the area trying to acheive something like that, even if you meet the requirements for the planning zones and overlays etc, you can still have trouble.  A town planner could save you a lot of time, trouble and money down the track.  Get a couple of quotes and see what you think.  But I would definitely use a Town Planner or Architect for feasability.  Perhaps you could consider using a designer once you know what you're dealing with but if it's a complex development I would stick with an Architect or Town Planner.

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of PPProjects.com.auPPProjects.com.au
    @ppprojects.com.au

Hi Nimby!

I am a town planner and can assist you with this project.

I agree with itsandrew's advise – you require a town planner to give you advice. Architect will be required to draft concept sketchs/plans to determine feasibility in terms of site area calculation etc.

I'd be happy to assist you on this – feel free to contact me on details below!

Cheers

PP Projects. . . bringing property and planning projects together . . .
    | Urban Planning | Project Management | Property Development | Design, DA & Construction |
    m 0411 299 865 e [email protected] w http://www.ppprojects.com.au a  P.O Box 709 Dulwich Hill NSW 2203

Profile photo of NIMBYNIMBY
    Participant
    @nimby

Thanks all for your advice. I have spoken with council, and other than a minimum lot size and frontage (both of which I will comfortably meet) they don't have specific numerical guidelines, it is more qualitative and subjective, which is not such a bad thing. I am now in the process of compiling all of my information, and then will talk to some experts.

PPProjects – I had a look at your website, but it would be great if you could give an idea of some projects you have been involved with.

Profile photo of PPProjects.com.auPPProjects.com.au
    @ppprojects.com.au

Hi Nimby

Thanks for visiting our website. Its in the process of being updated.

Just a quick summary on some of the projects we are/have been involved (without spamming the forum):
    – Terrace development in Surry Hills
    – Mixed use Summer Hill
    – Unit development Mortlake
    – Unit development Homebush
    – Various DA's in Leichhardt area
    – Duplexes in Canada Bay
    – Numerous townhouse developments in Canterbury/Bankstown areas
    – Numerous dwellings throughout Sydney

Projects involve managing the Development Application through the Council assessment process and coordinating the DA with sub-consultants.

Feel free to email me to discuss further

Cheers

PP Projects. . . bringing property and planning projects together . . .
    | Urban Planning | Project Management | Property Development | Design, DA & Construction |
    m 0411 299 865 e [email protected] w http://www.ppprojects.com.au a  P.O Box 709 Dulwich Hill NSW 2203

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.