All Topics / Value Adding / Kitchen Demolish Process

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

hi all,

I am trying to organize a kitchen to be demolished. currently the main electricity switchboard is in one of the kitchen cabinets.
    I was told by one electrician that he has to be there when the kitchen is demolished because he has to disconnect the power and install a temporary switchboard before the guys demolish the kitchen. then I was told by the kitchen demolish guys they can disconnect the electricity supply, so the electrician don't need to be there.
    Obviously the electrician charge me extra money for being there in the demolishment process.

Just wondering who is right? I am really confused by what's the right process of demolishing a kitchen. Do you have to have the electrician and the demolish guys both in the property at the same time? (they are both very busy and can't find a common time)

Thanks heaps! I will have the kitchen demolished next tuesday, any tips or experience is welcomed and highly appreciated!

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

I assume the cabinet makers are also go to install the new switcboard after the new kitchen is in place

Whats common sense tell you….???

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Stoopid question: where is the main switchboard? Is it outside the house/Unit in a main switchroom? Do you have access to it?

If you have your smarts about you, then turn off the power to your house/unit at the switchboard not the sub-board. (The main switchboard is where the electricity meters are and where the meter reader comes to check the power consumption).

Remove all of the cupboards leaving the one with the switchboard to last. Carefully remove the carcass – cut the back out with a jigsaw so you can get around the powerboard. If there is any damage to the board or wiring, then get the sparky.

Most tradies use cordless tools, so if they don't have power for a day or so it is not the end of the world.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Totally agree with Scott. If the electricity supply is an issue just turn of the mains. I have no idea why an electrician would need to be present while the kitchens being dismantled.

In terms of removing it (and I’m sure this goes against every rule of kitchen removal), rip out the doors and smash the remaining carcus with a sledge hammer – the bench top will probably just come off…..wear goggles. I find it to be a therapeutic experience :)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Jamie M wrote:
    . In terms of removing it (and I'm sure this goes against every rule of kitchen removal), rip out the doors and smash the remaining carcus with a sledge hammer – the bench top will probably just come off…..wear goggles. I find it to be a therapeutic experience :) Cheers Jamie

Haha. That's what I was going to say.

That's what we do. Break it up as much as possible as it packs flatter. Throw it in a skip bin. I wonder how much they charge for ripping it out. Our kitchen mob charges $500 for install. So deduct kitchen price + $500 to see how much extra it's costing.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:
    [Haha. That's what I was going to say.

That's what we do. Break it up as much as possible as it packs flatter. Throw it in a skip bin.

Yes! And then take the sledge hammer to the bits in the skip and smash them up real good. That’s how you remove a kitchen!

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions! 
    We have removed the kitchen this weekend with some friends' help(saved $200!!). only have the switchboard cabinet and the wall tiles very close to the switchboard left (As i rip off the wall tiles, I can see the power cable right behind the tiles, so i decided to leave the tiles there in case i break the cables in the wall). I'll have the electrician come in tomorrow morning to work on the switchboard and disconnect the existing stove. Then we'll work out what to do with the carbinet and tiles, think i can always get the kitchen installer to remove them for me on the day of installation, it won't take them more than long to do it.
    Council cleaning is after 1 month and they collect old cabinets, so i'll just dump the old kitchen that way. Saved another $250 here!
    I agree it was a great idea to wear masks and goggles, we didn't wear any and that was a bad decision!

Participant
    @jamie-m
    danviv1 wrote:
    I agree it was a great idea to wear masks and goggles, we didn't wear any and that was a bad decision!

It’s good to know that you can still see the keyboard!

Definitely wear goggles when you start hacking into those tiles. Gloves as well – I recently had a small bit of tile lodged in my finger. It wasn’t nice – good thing the carpets weren’t laid yet.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

The electrician disconnected the stove and the switchboard, removed the switchboard cabinet. I made one small mistake though.
    After removing the old stove, there's a thick and ugly electric cable sticking out of the wall, the electrician told me there are two ways to hide it: 1, he'll rip off part of the wall and hide it in the wall and shift it to the position of the new stove. 2. leave it there wait until the new cabinet is installed, then run it inside of the cabinet along the corner.
    I chose option 2, thinking it is easier. But this morning I just noticed the new kitchen will be smaller than the old kitchen, so the ugly cable will just stick out of the edge of new cabinet!
    Called kitchen maker, they can't change the order unless I wait another 2 weeks. So now it's time to call the electrician again to get him  come in again just to shift the cable.  :(

There are so many little things to consider when doing reno!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.