All Topics / Help Needed! / Treading carefully

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

With a nice clean debt free slate to work from, all I can suggest is you just start building assets.

Its all a matter of timing though, and for now I think you are marginally safer on the lower rung of properties than the upper range. I've been of the mind that we are overdue for a rate raising climate .. and in that scenario the more pricey properties start to plummet. Dont be fooled .. the WHOLE market reassesses itself, but usually the lower end doesnt get slammed so badly.

The rules are simple .. get as much quality property as you can for your buck, get a comfort level of debt you feel you can deal with, and get property that remains close to facilities and transport. And yet people keep writing megabooks on the same three rules .. over and over again.

There are properties returning up to 6-8% now in lesser desirable areas, so if you include your 40k as initial 20% deposit, you should be able to get a near neutral or positive scenario to start with. As 8% of 200k is about 16k return, on your initial investment you are getting a 40% return gross pre expenses. Go to the bank and ask for that and watch them laugh.

The other side of this scenario (assuming you are purchasing 100k properties) is that the ease of repayment on a smaller loan size means you can repay the loans quicker. And banks will allow you to include the assets and income from your properties as part of the equation for your next deal. On the premise i just cooked up in the previous paragraph .. you should be able to borrow 100k more within 4 or 5 months of that initial deal. Also with 1 or more small properties .. you can borrow or loan on one or the other without encumbering both.

Slow and steady is the current words I'd use. You must take on board that on the property clock .. the boom climate is off and we are looking towards the downturn in most Australian markets. Whatever market you choose and want to be in .. take your 5 year trend line to see where you expect the market to be in that area … in 5 years. There are no crystal balls in real estate, but trends tend to present themselves in advance.

Outside of that .. you've got the advantage of a top notch forum with many other property investors who are making judgement calls based on solid information. Take a trip through the forum and you may just glean some knowledge from it.

Best of Luck

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Nothing wrong with a regional area as there are many regional areas that will very much outpace sydney in terms of capital growth in the next 5 to 10 years. 

However, if you are expecting 2% you would really have to question that location.  If your goal is to create sufficient equity to be able to finance a PPOR then trapping your gains inside super will not help in this instance.

I can see a very simple solution for you.

Buy an investment property that you can easily service through rent plus a doable contribution from yourself.  Don't stretch yourself.

However the property needs to have value add potential either through a reno, simple subdivision or other technique.

If you can create value in the property and repeat the process in other properties then you will be well on your way to buying your own house with a loan that you can service and sleep at night. Plus you will over the years gain valuable skills in the property field.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    streamlineinvesting wrote:

Below is an example of something you could easily do.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-tamworth-107250602

Property for $130,000, with your deposit loan of about $95,000. Interest only that would be $555 a month in interest (7% IR). Currently receiving $210 a week in rent, $910 a month. So a gross profit of $355 a month. If you put it all towards paying down the interest and principal, would take around 15 years to pay it off, as I said before, without really putting much of your own money into it.

If you are going to quote figures at least do it right.

In your example you would have to put in $41,000. ($130K-$95K + stamp duty + solicitors fees). So you are forgoing interest (if left in a term deposit) of $190pm.

Your incoming is $910pm minus (PM fees $70 + rates $100 + insurance $40) = $700pm (assuming you have no maintenance, problems etc).

So  $700 – $555 = $145pm.  So with the interest you are forgoing by spending your $41K you are about even. And that's if your loan is interest only. That won't pay it off.
    This would still be a goer assuming there is capital gains to be had. The problem with some regional properties is that CG is low. so you are no further ahead 15 years down the track.

While yield is very important, without CG you are not moving ahead.

Sorry to duplicate- didn't read the rest of the posts.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Catalyst wrote:
    While yield is very important, without CG you are not moving ahead.

You are actually going backwards as inflation is around 3%!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.