All Topics / Help Needed! / Newcastle Residents, Please Help: Mayfield, Islington or Shortland?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

I’m looking at these areas and the price VS yield is good but I have no idea about Newcastle. Are any of these suburbs considered blue chip or “bad”? And if so why? Also if you had to choose one of these suburbs to live in, which would it be and why?

Thanks!

Profile photo of DragonflyzDragonflyz
    @dragonflyz

I grew up in Newcastle and frequently visit family from time to time… I lived/rented in all 3 suburbs, have home owner family members in Shortland – they have lovely homes/houses and in my opinion… Shortland is much better than Mayfield. Although, about 30 minutes drive from the centre of town/the foreshore. Mayfield is better than Islington (both about 10 – 15 minutes from centre of town. But then again, I have no idea what the projected market is or if there is any planning in place to rejuvenate these suburbs (especially Islington).

Hope this helps!

Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Thanks Dragonflyz. When was the last time you were there?

Profile photo of DragonflyzDragonflyz
    @dragonflyz

I was last in Newcastle about 3 months ago…

Hope this helps!

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Anyone else care to jump in? :)

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Mr LV, PM me and I can give you some opinions on various suburbs.  

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

Gday MrLasvegas
    Islington – pretty much the red light district of newy but theres alot of action to try and clean it up…although there has been for some time. Most of the places are fairly high density but it is the closest to the cbd of the 3. Got a couple mates who live there and dont mind and there are a few interesting characters living round there + a bikey club.
    Mayfield – only a 2 min drive further west from Islington. Bit of a mix of people there. A walk down the main road and you will think its pretty dodgey but theres a lot of older style houses there. Some have been really nicely restored while others are still living in the past. Prices are 300k+
    Shortland – another 10mins west of mayfield. pretty small quiet little suburb close to the uni. Alot less traffic than the other two (Maitland rd runs through iso and mayfield)
    I wouldnt say any of them are bluechip or bad areas
    If I had to live in one it would be Shortland first – Islington last…Shortland is pretty quiet and the nicer of the 3 to drive round IMHO
    Hope this helps

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Cheers Grantos_Champos – helps a lot! Are you a Newcastle resident?

Participant
    @lalibella

Keep away from Windale, Gateshead and Raymond Terrace mainly.  Lower income and Housing Commission areas with subsequent issues.
    Hard to go wrong in most areas with a huge rental demand.

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Thanks Lalibella. On a related note, I’ve heard Mayfield East and West are to be avoided, but what about Mayfield? Some people say it’s a dump, others say it’s up and coming.

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

yep grew up about 40mins from town n moved into town about 4yrs back

Participant
    @lalibella

Re Mayfield, it doesn't  really matter. Its a big suburb and varies a a fair bit.  If you find the right property for you then go for it. I lived there for several years and loved its proximity to the city and beaches.  Bought a Conformador wagon and moved to the burbs.

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Great feedback, thank you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.