All Topics / Help Needed! / What are the best suburbs in Newcastle, NSW?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

I’m looking around Newcastle but I don’t know much about the area so would LOVE the help of any locals. Specifically could you help me with 2 questions?

1. What are the “blue chip” suburbs in the area?
    2. What are the suburbs/areas to avoid and why?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Not a worlds expert but my wife was born and bred there and is there visiting her parents this weekend.

They live in Merewether and we are just buying a property in Merewether Heights because she loves the area.

A few of the lesser desirable suburbs from 10 – 15 years ago have now become trendy and fashionable.

Sure we will have some home grown Novacastrians who can correct me.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Beat me to it Richard. I’d also add Bar Beach, Cooks Hill, around the old Newcastle hospital, Hamilton & New Lambton.

I’d shy away from Ellermore Vale & there abouts.

Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Thanks guys. Anyone else have any feedback or know the best way to figure out the “up and coming” suburbs in Newcastle?

Profile photo of Charlie_BCharlie_B
    Participant
    @charlie_b

I grew up in Lake Macquarie, but I know that Mayfield and Islington have bad reputations. Islington is a bit of a red light district. Warner's Bay around Lake Macquarie is very popular! Two of my sisters live there.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

So are the girls @ Islington (popular) :)

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

merewether bar beach cooks hill are probably the ritziest places. new lambton heights is pretty exclusive with some nice big places there – rankin park is close by and has the same sort of places. Kotara and Charlestown are nice too plus they both have a big shopping centre each (charly just had a huge refurb).
    Other end of the spectrum your probably looking at gateshead/windale/whitebridge/islington/mayfield/bolton point.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.