All Topics / Help Needed! / Borrowing against equity

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

I have purchased two houses in Muswellbrook within the last twelve months, with 80% finance through a building society. I am considering refinancing with Westpac, who will finance up to 85% LVR without loan mortgage insurance. I paid $274,000 for the first property and $295,000 for the second. I believe they have increased in value by $15,000 to $20,000 each. My question is if I refinance to 85% LVR, will the interest on the loans still be tax deductable? I wish to access funds from the equity to initially place in an offset account against my PPOR, and maintain a flexable plan as to the ultimate use for the money. I will want to keep some of it as a buffer against future interest rate rises and any periods of vacancy in the two rental properties. I will contine adding capital to the offset account with the ultimate objective of building a deposit for my next purchase. So, by placing these funds in an offset account, will it affect my ability to claim tax deductions against my  interest payments on the 85% loans?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The WBC 85% with no LMI ended 30 April.

You could give ING a go – but they can be a pain with top-ups.

Deductibility is determined by purpose. If you’re using the money to pay down a PPOR loan – then it wouldn’t be dedutible.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Moxi

As Jamie mentioned Wesuck withdrew their NO lmi policy a couple of weeks ago and i agree that ING are a shocker on refinances.

Citibank might look at it as they have an excellent no problem "cash out" policy but you have to decide what the funds are to be for. The interest will not be deductible if you put it into your offset account but would be if you used the funds for a deposit on the next IP.

Sounds to me like you might need a bit a loan review so to be clear of what your short term and longer term goals.

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Thanks Jamie M and Qlds007 for your information.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.