All Topics / Help Needed! / Who is responsible for possible sinkage of drains and fence

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

Hi I have just received the below from my property manager:-

There is a drain at the back of your back yard that looks like it is starting to sink and it has

made 2 panels of the right hand side fence buckle. This would be happening with the house

next door also.

As the property is new, handover was June 2010 are we covered by the builders warranty for our side of the fence and drains?? Or do we go through our landlord insurance to have the problem fixed. Also as our manager thinks it is also happening to the house next door, do we do it jointly to fix the problem.

Any advice would be very appreciated as this is our first investment and things have been pretty plain sailing until now.

Thanks JPS25

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I would notify the builder by phone, in the first instance backed up in writing, keep diary notes of your contact & builder’s response. Whilst you have a new building, you need to approach the builder or you may void any warranties.

Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

Thanks Scott,

I will give the builders a ring on Monday morning and back it up in an email too thanks

JPS25

Participant
    @jps25

Been in touch with the builders and it seems it is a problem on councils land ours is not the only property effected so hopefully council will sort it out quickly

Thanks JPS25

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Jump on the council asap. I recently had my local council repair a stormwater drain under the footpath. I knew that the issue was theirs as I had replaced the pipe 10 years ago, then council replaced the paths.

They discovered the redundant clay pipe & said that it was old damage. I advised it was the wrong pipe & keep digging. They soon found it, apologised & replaced it & the path.

Participant
    @jps25

Hi scott,

The builders said they are going to contact council for us about it they had a few problems it seems when they were doing the blocks in that area originally. But yes will also follow through ourselfs with the council if Jay comes back and says it definitly is on the showground side of the fence. Will let you know how it goes Scott, we are also out there in a couple of weeks for a planned yearly inspection so will take a good look at the problem then too.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

if it wasn’t serious, it’d be funny: “we have a sinkhole in our backyard and council/builder/everyone is looking into it”.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.