All Topics / Finance / FHOG – 6 months

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of mightyhawks23mightyhawks23
    @mightyhawks23

Hello all,

Want to see if I can get some advice on this situation that I might have got myself into

Got the FHOG but I must have got my dates mixed up and leased out the property about a week short of the 6 month period where I needed to have this property as my principal place of residence.

Any idea how strict they are on the 6 months rule??? Will they crack down and reverse if it’s a few days short or do they have any leniency if it’s a few days short?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Have you signed the lease or lodged the bond yet?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mightyhawks23mightyhawks23
    @mightyhawks23

Hi Jamie,
    Yeah, unfortunately the lease has already been signed. Didn’t realise the difference in the dates until afterwards.
    Any experience with similar issues? What’s your opinion?

Thanks

Profile photo of Heath WorkmanHeath Workman
    Participant
    @heath-workman

There is usually a hotline/helpline for each state reguarding the FHOG. I recently called to ask what information was required to verify that I had infact used the property as PPOR for the appropiate amount on time to qualify for the grant. I was told that you are not required to provide anything and that often you will never hear from the government after recieving the grant, however it is recommended that you keep things such as bills, banks statements and other mail as evidence because they do occasionally do spot checks.

The point being perhaps hopefully you will get away with it. Apparently if you do not meet the guidelines to qualify for the grant you are made to pay back the grant as well as a ten thousand dollar fine.

Maybe you can phone the helpline in your state and find out. (Without letting on what you have done =P)

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

In my experience they are not that strict and they only audit a few people, not everyone. I'm sure you will be fine

Profile photo of mightyhawks23mightyhawks23
    @mightyhawks23

Thanks for the advice. 
    Fingers crossed everything will work out

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.