All Topics / Help Needed! / Possible to use equity in my (unusual) situation to purchase second home

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi All,

I have a loan which is unusual that is NOT with a bank, so wondering is it still possible to use any equity I will have on the loan in the future towards another property?

– FIxed at 4.5% for the first three years, then goes to regular interest rate after that
    – I cannot redraw whatsoever……
    – If I have credit in the loan, I can stop making repayments until my credit runs out. (eg if repayments were $100 pw, but I were paying $200 per week for 8 weeks I would be $800 in credit so therefore if I choose to I do not have to make repayments for 8 weeks until my credit ran out)
    – I cannot borrow under these circumstances to buy the second property

SO if I have some equity in this loan at some stage, and want to use it to help purchase another property is this possible. Do you need to actually withdraw the equity (remember I cannot touch the money AT ALL once its paid) to buy another house, or is it all theoretical and the money is not ever taken from the first mortgage as such but more guaranteed to the second property mortgager if I must sell the first place. I did a search of how equity works, I didnt quite understand the line of credit thing, however I think this wouldnt be an option for me as I cannot change details with the lender in my circumstance and cannot redraw.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Thanks guys
    Joe

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Will your current lender allow a 2nd mortgage to be registered ?

If so there is your equity.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

No they wouldnt.

What if I take advantage of the lower interest rate for a while, then is it possible to transfer my mortgage to a different lender say in a years time for eg use ANZ. Is the ability to transfer a home loan between institutions even possible? Are they any reason why this wouldnt be possible?

Thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, you should be able to refinance your loan with another lender. As long as your financials are ok and you haven't missed any repayments it should be possible.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@gammonbrus

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I think this is a better option for me when I’m ready to get that second mortgage.

Cheers

Joe

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Can you borrow money from this strange lender against any increase in equity that may have occurred.
    Like a small equity loan to use as a deposit for another lender?

@gammonbrus

Hi Terry and duckstar, thanks for the replies guys. No I wouldn’t be able to borrow against any equity earned on it. We are borrowing from a family trust type thing to help us get a first home and that is its sole purpose. But once I get enough equity I may as well go traditional method and go see a bank that can help we to build a portfolio.

Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.