All Topics / Help Needed! / Would the Home Equity Loan on PPOR for IP be tax deductible?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of katoriricekatoririce
    Participant
    @katoririce

I am trying to buy an investment property, and I am organising the loan for it. My PPOR is already fully paid off. I am trying to get an equity loan from my PPOR to finance my IP. If this is the case, would all the expenses with the IP and the loan from the PPOR still be tax deductible?  

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86
    Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

It's not what the loan is secured by which determines it's deductibility….it's the purpose of the loan funds that determines whether or not the ATO will allow deductibility. So if you use all of the home equity loan to fund a deposit for an investment property then you should be okay. Just be mindful no personal income or expenses go through the equity loan.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As i mentioned in the reply to the same post in another section of the forum you would not use your PPOR to solely secure the loan.

Carefully structuring is required to avoid contaminating the interest and in my opinion the investment sub loan secured against your PPOR would have a 100% offset account attached to it to save you even more.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.