All Topics / Help Needed! / FHOG eligability question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of matt_decatmatt_decat
    Participant
    @matt_decat

hi all,

i have been floating the idea of using the FHOG to myself which made me look into areas which i would be interested in buying. the biggest problem for me is that i am still a student so I cannot afford to buy block of land in inner suburban areas (generally speaking). This then raised the question of whether the FHOG can be used on an apartment.

?

I realise that if the apartment is already built then I would only receive the $3000 (or however much it is). So what is the criteria for receiving the $20,000 grant? Can the apartment be half way through the building stage?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Matt

The First Home Owners Grant is a Federally funded Grant adminstered by the individual States.

It is $7000 in all States however certain States provide an added bonus to compensate for you having to pay Stamp Duty (In states where there is No FTB Exemption) or to encourage construction.

You would not receive the Grant on a blocj of land alone.

If the property is under construction and you are buying it as a completed package then the Grant will be available on Settlement. Should you be constructing on the land then the Grant maybe available at the time of the first drawing.

As i say it is administered by each State so for absolute clarification check with the OSR in Vic.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of matt_decatmatt_decat
    Participant
    @matt_decat

just another quick one, as i currently own an investment property that was built in the last 12 months.  when the tennant does deicide to move out at some point in the next year or so, am i then able to claim the FHOG if i then live in the house for a 6 month period, despite the fact that the state government's grant is no longer available?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.